• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First post (1 Viewer)

dicklynch

Hello All,

I hope I have chosen the right place for this question. I have a Pentax PF-80 spotting scope, the 20-60 zoom lens, the Williams eye piece and a Nikon CP-4500. I am struggling with this and the focus problem, but having a pretty good time doing so. The information here has been very helpful.

But here is my question. My wife is still into prints and has a Pentax ZX-L. Pentax makes an adaptor that allows her camera to be attached to the PF-80. This adaptor runs on the expensive side (to me) at +$300.00 US. From what I read here most folks are happy w/the eye pieces that Pentax makes that can be used w/the scope and as those eye pieces are in about the same price range, I am wondering if the quality of the adaptor as good and are the pictures sharp. Is there a learning curve that compares to the one I’m going through w/the Nikon?

If your responses are positive ref the adaptor, I’m thinking about saving my pennies and waiting for the market to drop out from under the Pentax D-*ist … any input here?

As I said in my “Hello Post” I’m a beginner, but pretty much hooked on digiscoping … not just on birds but all wildlife. And because my wife cancelled my “Note from Home” I’m pretty much relegated to chasing the birds w/feathers, therefore I really don’t have much of anything else to save my pennies for.

I thank you in advance for the inputs,

Dick

Hi Dick,

And welcome to the Forum from me too. I have no practical experience on Pentax photo adapters, so take my comments for what they are worth.

I think photo adapters and real eyepieces are very different animals. A scope with a photo adapter is more like a clumsy telephoto lens (approximately 1000 mm). Their image quality should be OK, but they are quite slow (f/10-14), make it difficult to use the scope for viewing - and have a relatively low power (compared to "real" digiscoping). If you ask me - yes, I would stick with the CP4500 and maybe buy a good fixed, high eye-relief eyepiece (if my wife would agree). :t:

Ilkka

Hey Ilkka,

Thank you for the welcome and the advice. You said pretty much what I thought, but like most men POWER is what it is all about and as I have the scope it is something that is somewhat difficult not to take advantage of. Perhaps the answer is to get my wife to get a little closer to those pesky grizzles.

Thanks again

Dick

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back