• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flash for OM-1 (2 Viewers)

Steve Babbs

I am pondering buying a flash for my OM1 before a trip to Sri Lanka which is likely to be largely nocturnal. I often use the light from my torch these days but I'm pondering keeping my options open. My main consideration is reach but, in these difficult times, price has to be a consideration too. This seems to be quite a good option at a lower price than the OM options. Any thoughts?

I've been using Godox TT685 for several years with my Olympus, and now OM-1, works a treat for nearly all nocturnal situations I've used it for, costs under £100 too. No idea how much better the 860 is though.

James

I am not sure if this topic is still open.

Both flashes TT685 and V860III have the same power/range - GN 60 at ISO-100.
TT685 works with AA batteries and have a recycle time of maximum 2.6 Seconds.
And V860III comes with its own lithium battery (2600mAh) and has a maximum recycle-time of 1.5s.

So V860 will recycle faster. Both flashes are very big&heavy. In general Godox flashes are good.
There is a more portable option - Godox Mini TT350O which is arround 200-250 grams, but it's just GN-36.

Last edited:
I am pondering buying a flash for my OM1 before a trip to Sri Lanka which is likely to be largely nocturnal. I often use the light from my torch these days but I'm pondering keeping my options open. My main consideration is reach but, in these difficult times, price has to be a consideration too. This seems to be quite a good option at a lower price than the OM options. Any thoughts?

I use a HÄHNEL Modus 360RT Speedlight MFT on my OM-1. Has its own rechargeable battery. One feature I like about it is the built-in LED light, which can also give good results when photographing wildlife. Cost a couple of hundred squid, which is a good deal cheaper than Olympus own models.

Hello James,
I have just acquired a Godox TT 685 to use with my OM1 camera. I have never used a flash.
Can you please give me some advise.
Thanks
Shantik

Hello James,
I have just acquired a Godox TT 685 to use with my OM1 camera. I have never used a flash.
Can you please give me some advise.
Thanks
Shantik
On youtube you will find all kind of instructional videos specifically for you flash model.
This one and other similar ones may be a good start
There are some on using flash in bird photography, not brand specific but once you figured out how yours work it applies across all brands.

In general, during the day, I expose for the ambient light and use TTL on High Speed Sync with a stop or two down regulated to fill in the dark parts.
With the Flash head set to 200mm using a flash extender like Better Beamer or the MagMod version is often not required anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back