• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Used Bridge Camera Options (1 Viewer)

Hi All,

I'm a long-time DSLR shooter, but not for birds. My bird photography tends to be out on a walk and spot something a fair way off and would be good to quickly snap a reasonable pic for ID and share it online. My friend has the Nikon P1000 and has managed to get some cracking shoots. I have tried that camera and it's tricky coming from a DSLR, as its slow in comparison. But I can totally see the value of having that reach is amazing for those quick snaps, especially of stationary birds at a distance.

So I guess I'm interested in grabbing something secondhand mainly for spotting and ID purposes to easily carry around, but I don't think it would be either P1000, or the P900, but I'm open to being persuaded if they are the best options.

Based on my reading of other bridge camera alternatives there is the Sony RX10 or various Panasonic models or various Canon Powershots old and newer. Sony has limited reach and is very expensive, Panasonic also has limited reach, Canon seems closer, but the image quality isn't as good??

Any thoughts from the owners of any of these cameras would be much appreciated

There are a handful of models. From just Panasonic alone, there is the FZ300, FZ80/82. I use the 12 year old FZ150, and it is still usable, especially for record shots and ID.

You can check out the Bridge Camera Photography Showcase to see what others are using. If you are not looking for the best image quality or low light performance, any used bridge camera with enough zoom that is easy to acquire, will be satisfactory.

I've owned a couple of Panasonic Bridge Cameras and I have been extremely happy with them. All the ones I've owned have had Leica lenses in them. I firstly owned the FZ28 and later (think it was around 2014) I purchased the FZ200 and I still own this and use it from time to time. It's been an excellent camera, and takes beautifully crisp sharp detailed images. Here's a link to one of my FlickR albums, with some images I took with the Panasonic FZ200.

Panasonic DMC-FZ200 set

Hi All,

I'm a long-time DSLR shooter, but not for birds. My bird photography tends to be out on a walk and spot something a fair way off and would be good to quickly snap a reasonable pic for ID and share it online. My friend has the Nikon P1000 and has managed to get some cracking shoots. I have tried that camera and it's tricky coming from a DSLR, as its slow in comparison. But I can totally see the value of having that reach is amazing for those quick snaps, especially of stationary birds at a distance.

So I guess I'm interested in grabbing something secondhand mainly for spotting and ID purposes to easily carry around, but I don't think it would be either P1000, or the P900, but I'm open to being persuaded if they are the best options.

Based on my reading of other bridge camera alternatives there is the Sony RX10 or various Panasonic models or various Canon Powershots old and newer. Sony has limited reach and is very expensive, Panasonic also has limited reach, Canon seems closer, but the image quality isn't as good??

I own a P1000 and love it. But you must be aware and accept the compromises associated to a small sensor, and a camera that it is now +5 years old (you seem to be).
I bought it many years ago for walks in the park (a it was actually a P900, which I then upgraded to a P1000) and within a few weeks that was all I was using, to do exactly for what you describe...try to get a reasonable shot, id and online sharing, in a light (vs DSLR + long lens) and portable package. The P950 is even lighter with shorter reach.
I find it a lot of fun and easy to use (i.e. just snap and go on birdwatching mode), but it also has many other features that makes it quite capable...I have even used it for camera trapping, badger photography and even as a telescope when I could not carry one (4k video would give you even more reach and it can be very useful for ids).
I did hesitate a lot before buying it as it is a camera as there were many negative comments online. But after seeing some pictures from users like us I decided to buy it and have not looked back.

Hi All,

A selection of pictures I've taken with the Nikon P950. It's a good camera, pretty much the same camera as the P900. I'm going the other way to you in that I have a mirrorless camera and lens on order. There's only so much these cameras can do, but they're far from merely record shot affairs.

The P950 is very easy to carry around. I have it 'round my neck and there's no weight to it all.

Attachments

• Barn Owl.jpg
    Barn Owl.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 25
  • YWT.jpg
    YWT.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 26
  • Great Spotted Woodpecker.jpg
    Great Spotted Woodpecker.jpg
    12.8 MB · Views: 26
  • Kingfisher.jpg
    Kingfisher.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 24
  • Chiffchaff.jpg
    Chiffchaff.jpg
    9.2 MB · Views: 18
  • Wren8.jpg
    Wren8.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 19
  • Wheatear9.jpg
    Wheatear9.jpg
    8.8 MB · Views: 16
  • FRS7.5.jpg
    FRS7.5.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 15
  • Whin8.5.jpg
    Whin8.5.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 14
  • Wheatear Female1.jpg
    Wheatear Female1.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 15
  • Untitleda7.5.jpg
    Untitleda7.5.jpg
    11.5 MB · Views: 16
  • Dunlin.jpg
    Dunlin.jpg
    9.8 MB · Views: 16
  • Ringed Plover.jpg
    Ringed Plover.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 13
  • Buzzard1.jpg
    Buzzard1.jpg
    9.1 MB · Views: 15
  • Redstarta8.jpg
    Redstarta8.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 13
  • Female Kestrel8c.jpg
    Female Kestrel8c.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 17
  • Merlin9.jpg
    Merlin9.jpg
    9.7 MB · Views: 20
  • Stonechat.jpg
    Stonechat.jpg
    9.4 MB · Views: 18
  • Siskin.jpg
    Siskin.jpg
    10 MB · Views: 15
  • Pied Wheatear.jpg
    Pied Wheatear.jpg
    9.9 MB · Views: 24
I purchased a used Fujifilm Finepix 9400 with 50x optical. Since it was inexpensive I take it everywhere with me.
It is a 16mp camera, I think the most significant limitation is fastest shutter speed in 1/1700 second.
Here are some cropped pics from here in Montana:
Drake mallard from about 15 meters:
Screenshot 2024-03-24 082016.png
Great blue heron from about 40 meters:
Screenshot 2024-03-04 173959.png

American Coots from about 200 meters
COOTS1.JPG

I purchased a used Fujifilm Finepix 9400 with 50x optical. Since it was inexpensive I take it everywhere with me.
It is a 16mp camera, I think the most significant limitation is fastest shutter speed in 1/1700 second.
Here are some cropped pics from here in Montana:
Drake mallard from about 15 meters:
View attachment 1570090
Great blue heron from about 40 meters:
View attachment 1570091

American Coots from about 200 meters
View attachment 1570093

Nice pictures, Missy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back