• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flights Pics with 100-400 lens (1 Viewer)

John Gibson2 said:
When you are out in the field with the camera/lens (as opposed to the garden) do you use any kind of harness or bag to ease the burden better? I find that with the bins, the scope and the camera, long days walking can be a bit demanding.

I'd recommend looking at Lowepro camera bags - they do a wide range of shapes and sizes, so I'm sure there'd be one to suit you. I use one of the backpacs, they are very comfortable and allow you to carry all you kit easily.

I use the Lowepro TLZ AW---the 20D and attached 100-400 fit in vertically but you have to reverse the lenshood---there is a lower zipped pocket where I keep spare batteries and mounting plates and a front pocket which I put the 18-55 and 1.4 converter in plus cleaning cloths and brush and the manual because I still change setting now and then inadvertently and cannot remember how to change them back!---the bag comes with a shoulder strap but you can add a waist belt which spreads the weight and stops if flapping around on your hip if you decide on some jogging or fence jumping--I think it cost about £45 but I have had it for several years

Well done Helen great pictures!
I agree with Graham & Postcardcv, Lowepro rucksacks are great if a tad expensive, but don't forget what they are designed for, some expensive equipment.

Last edited:
Fabulous shots Helen.....I love the 100-400, it is my most used and with the 1.4 extender on it you can get even closer! I am still working on getting 'the' shot of a puffin in flight....fast little blighters....LOL

Thanks for the comments.

By the way, talking about the extender, is it really worth investing in the 1.4?

Oh no, I can feel a dither coming on again, just like the beginning of the thread. Should I, shouldn't I.....

Canon Flight Pics with 100-400 lens

Thanks to all regarding the bag for the camera/lens. I'm now debating which bag or do I want to spend the money on a 1.4 or 2 x extender. Like you Helen I wonder if an extender is a worthwhile addition and if so, which one. It's all decisions and it's all expensive.
Still, so far I am having a great time with the set-up and I'm very impressed with how it helps a novice like me to take pictures that I think are pretty good.

Regards,
John

The photos are great and make my fingers itchy while I am waiting for my 400f5.6 which is expected to arrive in another 4+ weeks. My first attempts will also be some black kites who nest in a hillside near my home.

Hellen How can I send you ...

helenol said:
Following on from Neils thread (if you can't beat 'em, join 'em).

Took the first pics recently of, yes, you guessed it, kites in flight - plus one perched on the now familiar tree (approx. 150ft away)

It suspect it will take me a while to get used to panning with this lens! I also need to work on my exposures etc. Apart from that, I find the lens pretty comfortable to hand hold when snapping away. Yes, it can get a little irksome when standing taking flight shots for ages, but overall it's a great lens, and I'm certainly happy I bought it.

(I couldn't resist taking the one of the aircraft, as a kite flew below, crap pic but it made me smile).

Hola Hellen:

I took the liberty of working your first picture with Photoshop and it came out so good I felt I had to send it to you. I am thinking of switching from Nikon to Canon and pictsa like yours may make me a convert.

Attachments

• KITE-INGLATERRA.jpg
    KITE-INGLATERRA.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 107
Jester's Kites

ukjesters said:
As we are on the subject of red kites and 100-400 is lens, i thought i would share these with you. Taken on Friday on The Red Kite Trail up in Dumfries...

kite4.jpg

kite3.jpg

kite2.jpg

Hola Jester:

Great picts, what kind of study are you doing on kites? I see they have numbered tags. Are they a mated pair? You see, the photos of the two kites tell me thay may be chasing eachother...? territorial or courtship? Can you ilustrate this south american raptor lover. As with hellen, I worked on your picts with photo shop. I Hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

Regards

Leopoldo " Leo" Garcia / Venezuela

Attachments

• KITE-INGLATERRA 3.jpg
    KITE-INGLATERRA 3.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 95
  • KITE-INGLATERRA 4.jpg
    KITE-INGLATERRA 4.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 102
Leopoldo said:
Hola Jester:

Great picts, what kind of study are you doing on kites? I see they have numbered tags. Are they a mated pair? You see, the photos of the two kites tell me thay may be chasing eachother...? territorial or courtship? Can you ilustrate this south american raptor lover. As with hellen, I worked on your picts with photo shop. I Hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

Regards

Leopoldo " Leo" Garcia / Venezuela

Hi Leopoldo, first of all thanks for taking the time to re-touch my pictures, i really do like them. The colours are great, without, in my opinion, looking false and "processed".

As far as studying the kites i'm afraid that with these pictures it was only as much as a blast in the car to Scotland and then taking the pictures and coming home again.
The kites have wing tags on as they are part of the Red Kite Project in Scotland red kite website the website will give you more information but more local to this forum is a user by the name of June Atkinson who is heavily involved with the Gateshead Red Kite project and i'm pretty sure that she would only be more than happy to help you out with your questions. Her posts can be found in "Your Local Patch- Gateshead birding" hope that helps
regards
Rick

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back