• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flock of Peregrines (1 Viewer)

TimBaldwin

Birding Beginner
I went Brean Down, Somerset today and saw five peregrines together and I was wondering whether that was unusual? I saw individuals chasing herring gulls and rooks. Could they be juveniles gaining their hunting skills or adults defending a nest? Maybe its too early for young to have fledged yet?

While it's a matter of timing in your area, the peregrine chicks in NE Indiana fledged about a week ago. While on a 'falconwatch' atop a local parking garage yesterday morning (with great views of the skyscraper which houses the hackbox), we were able to watch 4 peregrines flying about, 2 adults and 2 chicks.

Unfortunately, the 3rd chick is very ill with an unknown infection, and is in care with a local rehabber.

Welcome to Bird Forum, Tim.

This is almost certainly, as you suspect, a family party learning how to hunt.

A breeding pair would not tolerate other peregrines within their area.

The adults do teach the young birds by example and any bird will do for practice!

It's, also, not too early for young to have fledged - four young fledged from a nest that I know of, about a week ago.

Adey

I would imagine the peregrines eat lots of pigeons so the third chick probably has frounce... i have heard my friend who i s a rehabber and falconer in the U.S. saying that it is also showing up in a lot of the Gos and Coops as well now and the strain is very virulent but treatable. Hope the little guy makes it!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back