• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flycatcher help in Niagara, Ontario (1 Viewer)

chipster454

Got a pretty good shot of a flycatcher. I'm not too good with flycatcher ID. And of course, this one didn't make a sound. The Merlin bird app is all over the place with suggestions on this one. Easter Wood-Pewee? Acadian? Willow? Alder? Least?...Depending which picture, and how much it's zoomed in, Merlin has had each of these birds as the top suggestion. A little help would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

Attachments

• Flycatcher (Port Weller East Pier).JPG
    Flycatcher (Port Weller East Pier).JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8125.JPG
    IMG_8125.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 19
So I'm thinking I can rule out Least, because there's no eye ring. I can rule out Acadian, as the bill looks too short for that...The colour (grayish, brown) looks best for an Eastern Wood-Peewee to me. Also the lower mandible has a lot of yellow... It doesn't have that ragged crest typical of an Eastern Wood-Pewee, but I'm still thinking...Eastern Wood-Pewee?

Hi Chipster,
This is a tough one (for me at least). I think you are right and this is an Eastern Wood-pewee. Don't know why the crest doesn't appear to look right, but I think the primary projection is good for the pewee. Edit: As opposed to an empid.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back