• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flycatcher id help (1 Viewer)

tx2ad

United States
Hello,

In a neighbors tree today (Irving, TX - DFW Metroplex - North TX), for a short period of time, I was able to spot a small flycatcher.
I was not able to capture audio with Merlin.

Based on what Merlin suggested for matches - the closest match, to me, seems like an Eastern Wood-Pewee.

During my observation, the bird showed me its back clearly for a time, and I could see clearly what appeared to be ruler straight alternating black and white bars that met on the bird's back in a downward facing V pattern. I should have counted and made a note, but I would say there were likely 4 or 5 pairs of bars. There was no white ring around the eye. The beak was dark, I didn't notice any yellow (but could not say for certain there wasn't any color there). Size, shape, colorings otherwise closely match what I find described or pictured for the E. Wood-Pewee.

Appreciate your help.

Cheers!

Despite your detailed description, it's not possible to be sure without a photo or sounds recording. It sounds likely... ... Did it have long wings?

(The barring sounds strange, but young wood pewees often show cinnamon wing bars so might conceivably show a pattern like this)

I just ran through all of the sounds in Merlin, and to my novice ear the closest matches seem like Acadian, Alder, or Least (to my ear, Acadian seems more likely). I can say definitively that by sound - there is no way that it was a Peewee. I would also rule out Willow as well.

Will look through the Opus later: Category:Empidonax - BirdForum Opus

I would not say that I thought the wings were long.
Unless you specifically looked, in the field, to see whether the wings were either long or short, you are not going to remember it simply from your impression of the bird. So... not remembering now that they seemed long doesn't tell you anything at all I'm afraid.
The barring you describe seems odd. Why do you think it was a flycatcher?

A very terrible pic, but all I can manage so far (have set up for a hopefully better pic next time).
It also flew closer, to the same tree I observed yesterday.
Again, could see the wings meeting in the back with the very clear white/black bars coming to a perfect V in the middle of its back.
Not yet able to say for sure long/short wings - didn't get a great observation as it flitted around the back side of the tree.
Merlin photo ID suggested Alder - but sound ID only allegedly captured House Finch (of which, I did not spot any nearby).

Attachments

• IMG_1862.jpeg
    IMG_1862.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
A very terrible pic, but all I can manage so far (have set up for a hopefully better pic next time).
It also flew closer, to the same tree I observed yesterday.
Again, could see the wings meeting in the back with the very clear white/black bars coming to a perfect V in the middle of its back.
Not yet able to say for sure long/short wings - didn't get a great observation as it flitted around the back side of the tree.
Merlin photo ID suggested Alder - but sound ID only allegedly captured House Finch (of which, I did not spot any nearby).

wings meeting in the back with the very clear white/black bars coming to a perfect V in the middle of its back
Not sure I entirely understand your statement here, but from what we can see it looks more like an Empidonax. Primary projection is a key when distinguishing from pewees. I think those would have it significantly longer than here. The wing bars do appear rather whitish (although the pic isn't great to be able to judge); on pewees those bars would be rufous/cinnamon and absent in adults. I don't think we can say what Empidonax it is without better images or perhaps you remember its call. (If absolutely forced I'd say least.)

...Glad you found the Opus page.

I'm not a great illustrator - but this is what I saw of the wing bars.
And to my eyes - they were clearly white and black alternating.

Attachments

• IMG_1863.jpeg
    IMG_1863.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
I'm not a great illustrator - but this is what I saw of the wing bars.
And to my eyes - they were clearly white and black alternating.
Yes but that just corresponds to a well-marked Empidonax. Check the ebird images for the various candidates and you'll see what I mean. According to the Opus table I put together (itself the product of staring at images for some hours...), least has well marked wing bars.

No idea if its the same individual, but Merlin is telling me its hearing a Ruby Crowned Kinglet, and I have managed to watch him flittering around my tree.

A short while later, several of them were in the tree - and I even cuaght 2 of the their ruby crowns - it was awesome!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back