• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flycatcher, Northern Seward Peninsula, AK (1 Viewer)

shishmarefbirder

Found this guy outside my house yesterday in Shishmaref, AK. The only flycatcher I have documented was an Olive-sided Flycatcher although Say's Phoebee, Alder Flycathcer and Western Wood Pewee are also possibilities. The call wasn't an Olive-sided Flycatcher.

Attachments

• flycatcher6.jpg
    flycatcher6.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 94
Western Wood-Pewee is what I was thinking too with that long PP (primary projection) and weak (barely discernible eye ring) and what others have alluded to.

Can anyone tell me the difference between Western and Eastern Wood-Pewee? Or are the points that have been covered the difference makers?

To quote Sibley regarding Western Wood-Pewee, "appearance essentially identical to Eastern." I don't believe you could reliably distinguish the two based on this photo alone. I expect Larry mentioned Western Wood-Pewee just based on range – though I believe there have been some records of Eastern Wood-Pewee in Alaska, so while I expect Western is more likely, Eastern is not out of the question. Best way to distinguish them is voice.

Jim

The jizz alone looks like a wood pewee. No eye ring and that slightly peak headed look, with what appear to be dark under tail coverts and the hint of a vest on a brightish exposure of the image

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back