• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flycatchers - Panjin, Liaoning, China (1 Viewer)

Owen Krout

United States
It seems that the Flycatchers are in the peak of migration right now as I caught some new similar looking ones today and would like some confirmation since new to me.

First is one I first thought to be a Taiga Flycatcher, but on closer viewing seemed to look more like a Red-breasted F., Ficedual parva, to me. Several shy, fast moving and sticking to dense cover made getting an ID pic difficult NT4A5056.jpeg

Second was similar, but more extensive orange on the breast and not sitting with wings and tail cocked - easier to approach - a possible Mugimaki Flycatcher?
NT4A5081.jpegNT4A5082.jpegNT4A5096 (1).jpeg

The second bird is surely a Mugimaki, I think a 2cy male.

I'd be interested in why you think the first bird is Red-breasted, not Taiga, since Taiga is the overwhelmingly more likely bird in your location. Also, Red-breasted would be a rarity, yet you say there were several together? The uppertail coverts in your photo appear to be black, but the tail itself browner, which is a Taiga ID feature. But maybe someone else will be able to spot some feature which makes a more certain ID.

Further consideration and deeper digging on the internet and I now think you are correct, Taiga is the most probable. The gray on the face below the eye and the eye-ring was making me think R-b, but looking at more photos online and rechecking Tom Beeke's "The Birds of Dalian", I am now inclined to stick with the default Taiga.

Thanks, for the input!

1st bird is indeed a 2cy male Taiga Flycatcher, readily aged on account of the pale-tipped outer greater coverts which, are retained juvenile feathers. The fact your bird has a complete red throat (at this age) confirms it as Taiga. Male Taiga's obtain a red throat in their 1st year, on completion of their 1st pre-breeding body moult in early spring, while the vast majority of similarly-aged male RBF's are inseparable from females at this time of year. However, a small percentage of 1st-year male RBF's obtain a restricted orange-red wash to the upper throat. Exceptionally, some 1st-year Taiga's show a restricted orange-red wash to the upper throat in their 1st autumn on completion of post juvenile moult.

2nd bird is a 2cy male Mugimaki.

Grahame

Thanks, Grahame. Good info to keep in mind as one thing that keeps birding Panjin interesting is that in the past there was very little reporting and hence I'm constantly getting photo evidence of things that the range charts say shouldn't be here. Hence I might pickup a RBF yet someday! There is now a very active Wechat group of Chinese birders, particularly active in Liaoning, a number of whom now report to ebird, so the data set will be improving.

Both Taiga and Red-breasted turn up as winter vagrants in Japan. Red-breasted is much more common, it seems. This surprised me when was first told it, since the natural range of Taiga is much nearer. Maybe it's that some Red-breasted migrate west to east, so it's easy to overshoot and end up here. But Taiga migrate north to south, and would probably have to be blown off course to get over to Japan. Here wintering birds are always isolated individuals, so news gets around among birders. I'm sure there are occasional Red-breasted in Liaoning (although whether they overwinter might depend on how cold it is) so you may find one, but it will be more difficult because of the numbers of Taiga that are there, so they may not stand out. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back