• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flying wader ID - UK (Herts) (1 Viewer)

markpie

United Kingdom
Hi all,

About a week ago, I arrived at Amwell in Hertfordshire and as I started scanning I saw a medium sized wader in flight over the water. Unfortunately it didn't want to land and kept flying, eventually high and away to the south-east. I'm not an expert at wader ID at the best of times so I'm unsure what it could be, but what I noted was a white patch on the tail, some white markings on the wings, an overall medium brown colour and a darkish medium length bill.

Having flicked through the guides and some photos on the internet, the only one that really seems to fit the description is Curlew Sandpiper. It seemed too pale and marked for Green Sandpiper, the bill didn't seem long enough for a godwit, and dunlins (of which there's been a couple about) seem to lack the white tail. Are there any other candidates, or am I able to put it down as Curlew Sandpiper?

Many thanks,

Mark

Hi all,

About a week ago, I arrived at Amwell in Hertfordshire and as I started scanning I saw a medium sized wader in flight over the water. Unfortunately it didn't want to land and kept flying, eventually high and away to the south-east. I'm not an expert at wader ID at the best of times so I'm unsure what it could be, but what I noted was a white patch on the tail, some white markings on the wings, an overall medium brown colour and a darkish medium length bill.

Having flicked through the guides and some photos on the internet, the only one that really seems to fit the description is Curlew Sandpiper. It seemed too pale and marked for Green Sandpiper, the bill didn't seem long enough for a godwit, and dunlins (of which there's been a couple about) seem to lack the white tail. Are there any other candidates, or am I able to put it down as Curlew Sandpiper?

Many thanks,

Mark
Do you think it might have been a Redshank? the Redshank is one of the most common species of wader.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back