• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green-billed Malkoha? Bangkok, Thailand, Oct 29, 2023 (3 Viewers)

bhutjoe

Hi, this bird was photographed in Benjakiti Park in the center of Bangkok on October 29, 2023. It seems to have a very short tail for a Green-billed, only about body length, and I can not discern any white around the "eye-patch" (if there it is very faint compared to what is shown in field guides that I am aware of). On the other hand, the shape of the nostril means I think Green-billed rather than Black-belly but I am asking for others' opinions and comments, especially about the short tail and lack of white. A Singapore birder wrote a great article on telling malkohas apart by their nostril shape. If I recall correctly the round shape means green-billed. But the id marks seem to be in conflict (no white and short tail vs. round nostril). Hence my request for opinions on clarifying the id characteristics.
thank you in advance for all comments and suggestions.
steve

Attachments

• DSCN7150.JPG
    DSCN7150.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 24
  • DSCN7154.JPG
    DSCN7154.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 22
  • DSCN7155.JPG
    DSCN7155.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 22
  • DSCN7156.JPG
    DSCN7156.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 24
  • fullsizeoutput_1ba1.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1ba1.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 26
so obvious once you pointed it out. I just had a malkoha fixation:)
thanks for that, embarrassing as it is lol.
steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back