• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Focus Problem: Zeiss Victory SF 10x42 (1 Viewer)

John-W

I have a pair of Zeiss victory SF binoculars and recently have noticed the focusing becoming stiffer and slightly sticky. They are still perfectly usable, but it makes it harder to focus on small birds moving quickly.
I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to any practical steps I could take myself, or would it be that I would have to send them to Zeiss or elsewhere for servicing?
Any information would be appreciated, I have had them since new and they are about 7 years old and in very good condition.

Do not use penetrating oils on the focus wheel to ease the action. These oils can creep right inside the optics and the gas from them can coat all the lenses and prisms. This would mean the service engineer would need to clean the entire optics rather than just attend to your focus action.
I recommend you contact the Zeiss service centre in Kentucky and and tell them you would like to send the unit to them to sort out this annoying issue.

Lee

Do not use penetrating oils on the focus wheel to ease the action. These oils can creep right inside the optics and the gas from them can coat all the lenses and prisms. This would mean the service engineer would need to clean the entire optics rather than just attend to your focus action.
I recommend you contact the Zeiss service centre in Kentucky and and tell them you would like to send the unit to them to sort out this annoying issue.

Lee
Thanks for the reply, I'm embarrassed to say that I was contemplating whether WD40 would be advantageous:eek:
I will take your advice and contact Zeiss in Kentucky, thanks again.

Six years ago, in late 2016, Zeiss came out with a new black version of the Victory SF. So I understand that you have the old gray version. This was precisely replaced mainly for problems with the focus wheel. I think that Zeiss will change your focus system with the new one from the black version, which has fine and accurate movements, being perfect. Now black v. truly deserving its Smart Focus (SF) name

Thanks for the reply, I'm embarrassed to say that I was contemplating whether WD40 would be advantageous:eek:
I will take your advice and contact Zeiss in Kentucky, thanks again.
You are most welcome John, and do think twice before using WD40 as a lubricant. The 'WD' is short for water dispersant and I believe it was created to spray electrical systems in cars to remove water from them. But its ability to penetrate and lubricate does tempt folks to rely on it too much as it is not a long term solution. Ideally, use it to free something that has become stuck and then lubricate with longer lasting oil or grease.

Lee

I have a pair of Zeiss victory SF binoculars and recently have noticed the focusing becoming stiffer and slightly sticky. They are still perfectly usable, but it makes it harder to focus on small birds moving quickly.
I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to any practical steps I could take myself, or would it be that I would have to send them to Zeiss or elsewhere for servicing?
Any information would be appreciated, I have had them since new and they are about 7 years old and in very good condition.
I have had this problem repaired twice since 2017. The last time was 12/01/2021. It has recently happened again as of 7/15/2023. I wish it would be permanently fixed. I am currently preparing the form letter for repair, which, from past experience, will take 8-10 weeks.

Kurt G

Thanks for the heads up, Kurt, I have to admit I haven't done anything about mine yet, I've been using a different binocular, but this might be the reminder I needed to get on and get them sorted (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back