• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Four birds from northern Botswana (1 Viewer)

Michal B

Canada
I was rummaging around in the files of photos from last August in the area of Chobe National Park in Botswana and have several which I couldn't identify. There are four birds here (including 2 photos of each of 2 birds). Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1990.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2148.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2171.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2172.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2175.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2176.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 8
MY best efforts:

1. Don't Know - ?? Cisticola ssp
2. White-browed Sparrow-weaver
3 & 4. I think this looks good for Luapula Cisticola. (The illustration in Sasol 3rd edition isn't very good - the legs should be red, and the back greyish and black both of which features you can see in photo 4).
5 & 6. Hartlaub's Babbler (the distinguishing white rump is hidden by leaves in both photos, but I think it's not good for Arrow-marked).

IMG_1990.JPGIMG_2148.JPGIMG_2171.JPGIMG_2172.JPGIMG_2175.JPGIMG_2176.JPG

MY best efforts:

1. Don't Know - ?? Cisticola ssp
2. White-browed Sparrow-weaver
3 & 4. I think this looks good for Luapula Cisticola. (The illustration in Sasol 3rd edition isn't very good - the legs should be red, and the back greyish and black both of which features you can see in photo 4).
5 & 6. Hartlaub's Babbler (the distinguishing white rump is hidden by leaves in both photos, but I think it's not good for Arrow-marked).

View attachment 1507385View attachment 1507386View attachment 1507387View attachment 1507388View attachment 1507389View attachment 1507390
I think the first is a Tawny-flanked Prinia - the thin black streak above the supercilium suggests this.
The second I would go for Yellow-throated Bush Sparrow - doesn't have the contrast needed for WBSW and it is amazing how this is poorly shown in many Southern African guide books.
I agree that is has characters of Luapula, but this is a very habitat specific cisticola and only found in the depths of the Okavango marshes. If it is in more scrubby areas I think I would go for Piping, but would need feedback from the observer of where this was and in what habitat. All the other species are typical Savannah species hence my suspicion.
5&6, I agree.

I think the first is a Tawny-flanked Prinia - the thin black streak above the supercilium suggests this.

That's fine by me
The second I would go for Yellow-throated Bush Sparrow - doesn't have the contrast needed for WBSW and it is amazing how this is poorly shown in many Southern African guide books.

I think you're right
I agree that is has characters of Luapula, but this is a very habitat specific cisticola and only found in the depths of the Okavango marshes. If it is in more scrubby areas I think I would go for Piping, but would need feedback from the observer of where this was and in what habitat. All the other species are typical Savannah species hence my suspicion.
Despite three visits to the region, I've never managed to see Neddicky/Piping despite it's supposedly 'common resident' status, so I don't know. Michal's photo looked like this Luapula from Kwara I took.

Kwara Luapula.jpg

MacNara and Muppit17, thank you for insights. I had stored these photos in an "unidentified" folder for the entire trip and should have been more careful in identifying exactly where they were shot. All were from Chobe National Park. Number 1 and 2 were both on high scrubby banks right on the riverside. The other two birds (3-4 and 5-6) were in the same locale within meters of one another on the savannah/floodplain.

This photo shows my thinking for identifying 3&4 as Luapula. Plenty of people on e-Bird seem to think they have seen this bird well outside the Okavango marshes.

However, Muppit's point about habitat may well be valid. And, to repeat, I've never seen Piping/Neddicky but thought it was duskier and with a plain back.

Of course, a photo showing more of the back would be ideal. Otherwise maybe it has to be left.

Does anyone other than Muppit and myself have a view?

Chobe Cisticola BF Ed.jpg Luapula Chobe.jpg

This photo shows my thinking for identifying 3&4 as Luapula. Plenty of people on e-Bird seem to think they have seen this bird well outside the Okavango marshes.

However, Muppit's point about habitat may well be valid. And, to repeat, I've never seen Piping/Neddicky but thought it was duskier and with a plain back.

Of course, a photo showing more of the back would be ideal. Otherwise maybe it has to be left.

Does anyone other than Muppit and myself have a view?

View attachment 1508316 View attachment 1508317
The pale underparts aren't a problem for piping Northern races: it's only dark grey in the south. The patterned back is: my comparison of the op with Macauley lead me to agree with you that this is not an artifact. I also think the distinct capped appearance is unlike piping (where the cap can bleed into the reddish face). I have no experience of luapula...

Many thanks for the detailed reviews. I must get into the habit of taking even more photos of birds. I still remember film and can't completely get away from "conserving".

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back