• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

French Polynesia - tropical endemics in March 2022 (2 Viewers)

abirdingguy

I’m planning a trip to French Polynesia in March. We will be visiting many different islands in search of endangered island endemics and seabirds. It’s likely a friend will join me, and there is additional room for one or two more people. I realize this isn’t much advanced notice, but covid uncertainties have compressed preparations more than I prefer.

The birding goal of this trip is to focus on land-based endemic species and subspecies as well as seabirds while enjoying a tropical paradise. Seabirds will come both naturally while traveling by boat between islands and by visiting some nesting colonies ashore. The plan involves visiting the Society, Tuamotus, and Marquesas Island groupings within French Polynesia. In the Marquesas and eastern (windward) Society Islands, we have a reasonable chance to see all of the endemic species and subspecies. There is an option to go for all of the endemics in the western (leeward) Society Islands, but there it is still up in the air whether we will spend time here or additional time in the Tuamotus. In the Tuamotus, we will focus on the endemics found in the northwestern portion of the archipelago. The number of endemics and islands visited in the Tuamotus will depend on whether or not we want to spend a couple of days in the leeward Society Islands.

The tone of the trip will be focused on birds and other nature and not stereotypical day-at-the-beach lounging-around tourism. Accommodations will primarily be simpler, less expensive bed-and-breakfast locations rather than luxury hotels. A few nights will be aboard a catamaran as is necessary to reach some uninhabited islands that are the sole territory of some endemic birds. We will have a guide for most of the Marquesas and if/when required to visit other locales (such as the Tahiti Monarch reserve on Tahiti).

Please send me a DM for more details if you are interested.

I’m planning a trip to French Polynesia in March. We will be visiting many different islands in search of endangered island endemics and seabirds. It’s likely a friend will join me, and there is additional room for one or two more people. I realize this isn’t much advanced notice, but covid uncertainties have compressed preparations more than I prefer.

The birding goal of this trip is to focus on land-based endemic species and subspecies as well as seabirds while enjoying a tropical paradise. Seabirds will come both naturally while traveling by boat between islands and by visiting some nesting colonies ashore. The plan involves visiting the Society, Tuamotus, and Marquesas Island groupings within French Polynesia. In the Marquesas and eastern (windward) Society Islands, we have a reasonable chance to see all of the endemic species and subspecies. There is an option to go for all of the endemics in the western (leeward) Society Islands, but there it is still up in the air whether we will spend time here or additional time in the Tuamotus. In the Tuamotus, we will focus on the endemics found in the northwestern portion of the archipelago. The number of endemics and islands visited in the Tuamotus will depend on whether or not we want to spend a couple of days in the leeward Society Islands.

The tone of the trip will be focused on birds and other nature and not stereotypical day-at-the-beach lounging-around tourism. Accommodations will primarily be simpler, less expensive bed-and-breakfast locations rather than luxury hotels. A few nights will be aboard a catamaran as is necessary to reach some uninhabited islands that are the sole territory of some endemic birds. We will have a guide for most of the Marquesas and if/when required to visit other locales (such as the Tahiti Monarch reserve on Tahiti).

Please send me a DM for more details if you are interested.
Hi. I am very much interested in such a trip. Could you indicate possible timeline and rough cost estimates. Thanks. George Wagner

Our flight arrives early in the morning of March 9th. I'm departing the morning of March 28 and my friend is departing around March 23. Depending on your interests, we could also team up for a subset of these dates. Trip costs are not yet certain, but probably several thousand USD.

I can provide more details later today since I'm busy with work at the moment.

Our flight arrives early in the morning of March 9th. I'm departing the morning of March 28 and my friend is departing around March 23. Depending on your interests, we could also team up for a subset of these dates. Trip costs are not yet certain, but probably several thousand USD.

I can provide more details later today since I'm busy with work at the moment.
Yes. My email is [email protected]

Two items that I realized that I should have included in the initial listing:

I expect that nearly all of the hikes to see birds will not be exceptionally long or grueling. However there is some inclined, unpaved terrain, and some of the boat excursions will require "water landings." These water landings and boardings are necessary as some of the endemics can only be found on uninhabited islands, islands that do not have dock infrastructure. Therefore trip participants will need to have a certain level of physical fitness.

If you would only like to team up for certain portions of the trip, that is an option. It is not necessary to join us for the entire trip.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back