• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frigatebird for ID - West Bengal, India, May 2020 (2 Viewers)

sbiswas.geo

This bird was spotted 200km inland from the nearest coast in southern West Bengal, India, flying south towards the Bay of Bengal, after a super-cyclone caused havoc in May 2020. The observer logged this bird as Christmas Island Frigatebird in eBird but I was wondering why can't this be a juvenile Lesser Frigatebird, which is more probable in this region. Any thoughts?

Images (C) Somik Ghosh

1200 (1).jpg1200.jpg

Well I think this:

https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewd...rigatebirds are,the ventral surfaces and head.

suggests it is Christmas island. Supporting that are the forward angled "arms" coming from the white belly patch and the rounded belly patch I think. I wasn't clear there was anything definite in the head and bill colour: Macauley images suggest bill is often yellowish and head golden cf lesser where greyish and browner, I think.

Well I think this:

https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.691.6104&rep=rep1&type=pdf#:~:text=The plumages of frigatebirds are,the ventral surfaces and head.

suggests it is Christmas island. Supporting that are the forward angled "arms" coming from the white belly patch and the rounded belly patch I think. I wasn't clear there was anything definite in the head and bill colour: Macauley images suggest bill is often yellowish and head golden cf lesser where greyish and browner, I think.
It is true to say that the axillary spurs seem to come out of the front corners of the belly patch, but they're rather indistinct, so it's hard to be sure. The belly patch itself looks triangular to me. Another thing I noticed is that the bird has, or had at one point, a broad black breast band, more typical of Lesser. I get the impression the bill is relatively small (compared to the huge bill of Christmas Island) and the bird itself looks relatively short-winged and short-tailed. In my experience, CIF is a monster! I wouldn't read too much into the head and bill colour.

It is true to say that the axillary spurs seem to come out of the front corners of the belly patch, but they're rather indistinct, so it's hard to be sure. The belly patch itself looks triangular to me. Another thing I noticed is that the bird has, or had at one point, a broad black breast band, more typical of Lesser. I get the impression the bill is relatively small (compared to the huge bill of Christmas Island) and the bird itself looks relatively short-winged and short-tailed. In my experience, CIF is a monster! I wouldn't read too much into the head and bill colour.
Thanks Andy. The colours are off because of cloudy weather. Hence not much dependable at all.

This bird was spotted... The observer logged this bird as...
One more photo
I have the impression, as seems to happen - oddly, frustratingly and annoyingly - so often in this forum's threads, that we are being drip-fed information in a way that the OP presumably thinks is helpful but in fact is the opposite. If this observation and all its photos and other information are already published online somewhere could we not just please be given a straightforward link to that so that we get the whole story?

I have the impression, as seems to happen - oddly, frustratingly and annoyingly - so often in this forum's threads, that we are being drip-fed information in a way that the OP presumably thinks is helpful but in fact is the opposite. If this observation and all its photos and other information are already published online somewhere could we not just please be given a straightforward link to that so that we get the whole story?
I picked up the photos from an eBird checklist. Here is the link (eBird link) but there are no details there on how it was identified. I did not post the 3rd photo initially thinking it will be of no use, but Andy's comment on bill size made me rethink. I shared all the information I have to the best of my knowledge.

@Grahame Walbridge , David reviewed and identified it as a Lesser Frigatebird. He said,

First cycle bird, in early stages of moult. The belly patch is triangular, with the axillary spurs extending the front corners. The rear edge of the black breast band is vertical (~90 degrees) , or perpendicular to the body line The pale, faded buff head outlined by a thin white collar is characteristic. The eye looks huge.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back