• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From no binoculars to two sets - keep them both? (1 Viewer)

About a week ago I bought myself a pair of Nikon Monarch M5 8x42 with a view to taking birdwatching a bit more seriously. They arrived on Friday and apart from a quick try from the house have not been used yet.

Today I was given a pair of RSPB Avocet 10x25 by my wife for Christmas. I wasn’t expecting them but she’s obviously picked up on my renewed interest in birds and very thoughtfully bought these for me - but unaware I’d bought the Nikon’s.

Would it be pointless to keep both, or worth it? The Nikon’s for when I go out for a day/half day specifically to look at birds, and keep the compact ones for shoving in my pocket any time we go out for a stroll, walk the dog, keep in the car, let the kids use etc.? I can see the limitations of the 10x25s, but they do fit in a pocket easily, and most of all I don’t want to send them back when my wife has been so thoughtful in getting them for me. At the same time, I got the Nikon’s for a great price and don’t particularly want to send them back either - but if I did I could put the money aside for a better pair in a few years time 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hi,

if it wasn't for the gift factor, I would send the 10x25 back. I bought a nice pair of Zeiss Conquest 10x25 a few years ago and they're easily my least used pair. 10x is not easy to hold still for me, the tiny instrument and light weight don't help. And the tiny exit pupil (and dual hinge design) makes them fiddly to get eye placement right plus they need good light.

So try if they really work for you...

Joachim, who wishes he had gotten an 8x25 pair instead...

It is nice to have a regular size pair of binoculars like the 8x42 for normal birding and a compact like the 10x25 when you just want to carry a pair of binoculars in case you see something, say in the car or on a bike. You don't have a huge amount of money invested in them, so I would keep both. Plus, the small costs of the Avocet 10x25 binoculars is not worth risking hurting your wife's feelings by returning them.

The Nikon is arguably the better binocular, but nowhere nearly as easily carried as the smaller Avocet that you're wife conscientiously got for you. There's no way that I would not be keeping the one she bought, no matter what flaws it might have.

The only binocular I carry all the time is my 8x20 Ultravid, and while it's not nearly what my better/bigger binoculars are, it is the one that is always there, and it gets the most usage.

I can’t imagine a scenario where returning a gift would be acceptable.

I’m confident that the Nikon binoculars will be suitable for proper birding outings and the pocket binoculars will be excellent to just “pop in your pocket” when heading out for a general outing (I have a pair of Hawke 8x25 for this purpose)

Keep both

You know the formula for number of bicycles? It also applied to binos. The ideal number to own is N-1, where 'N' equals the quantity that leads to divorce.

I use my compact 10x25 bins a lot, size just makes them really convenient. And as MiddleRiver mentioned, it's good to have a pair of binoculars in the car. It's also great that your wife's gift supported RSPB.

If you're ramping up your birding activity I would wait and see which one gets used more. The 8x42 are going to be the flagship. A compact pair complements the big one nicely, maybe you'll even end up using the 25mm's more. You can sell them after a year or two and hopefully get 70% of the cost back out of them if you don't like them.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back