• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (1 Viewer)

Oh boy! No wonder you are a bit chuffed with the coalies! I feel I could draw and paint for a decade and not get anywhere near the 'rightness' of these little studies - absolutely superb and I'm only just the tiniest bit jealous - honest!
the other drawings are, of course, brilliantly done and would grace any sketchbook of the masters. Really excellent.

Oh wow! All fab but, for me, the bullfinch is a clear favourite. It's so 'bullfinchy', I tend to see them more in the winter so that puffed up look is spot on for how I always remember them. Great stuff.

Mike

Was a bit annoyed with myself for not getting out of bed today and missing bus to Angarn Reserve, though only got into bed at 4.30 am, so reckon i needed the sleep. As penance went down to sketch the Goosansers down the road from the apartment at stockholm Strom were they are always present in winter.

Attachments

• goosanders, page 1.jpg
    goosanders, page 1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Goosanders page 2.jpg
    Goosanders page 2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 76
  • female head sketch.jpg
    female head sketch.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 73
  • female wing flapping.jpg
    female wing flapping.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 78
Some more detailed close ups here...

Attachments

• goosander display.jpg
    goosander display.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Goosander female.jpg
    Goosander female.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 72
  • goosander female2.jpg
    goosander female2.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 73
And the last few...

Attachments

• male goosander.jpg
    male goosander.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 71
  • male goosander strom.jpg
    male goosander strom.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Sleeping female.jpg
    Sleeping female.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 87
You're excused for sleeping in you more than made amends with these. The wing-excercising female is a beauty of a drawing - really hard to 'see' the salient bits'n'bobs in view and th esleeping female just wants a frame!

Wonderfully alive sketches, only possible to capture by getting out there amongst it. Wish I had goosanders down the road!

Mike

Your goosanders seem easier to draw than mine! It's cos you're so damned good at them!

Cheers all for the generous comments...

I reckon, with the possible exception of Shelduck back when I lived in Dublin, Goosander is the species I have spent the most time sketching. Partly because they are rare in Ireland, giving me interest in them while here in Sweden, and partly because they are alway available here in winter, they really are everywhere here in Stockholm.(and they don't eat bread from tourists, admirable trait in a wild bird that!)
Oddly, I have never done a painting of them and am at a loss to say why that is, may have to put that right in the near future...

It could well be the species I've sketched the most too, I've always liked them, they were always on my old local patch in the Midlands, not too uncommon in Wales, and in France, it's often a toss-up between sketching them or Mallards, Goosanders always win.

I'm catching up late on these most recent- I especially like the "size as seen" pintail set in some natural geometry abvoe..and that Mistle Thrush.

3 Toed-woodpecker would lend itself mightily to your drawing style, so here's hoping! I guess you saw the pics of the Skagen bird from the autumn...

http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=showpicture&picture_id=18575

That was then and this is now. The Three Toed Woodpecker has returned to the area around the shooting range in Hansta, Norra Järvafältet. Stomped around for a bit before it started to call, finally allowing me to catch up on it, a lot of miles gone into seeing this over three different days previous to today..Brilliant bird that gave great views on open pine trunks and rested for a while. No camera with me though which was a real shame, but the sketchbook benifits from its absence...

Attachments

• 3tw1.jpg
    3tw1.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 3tw2.jpg
    3tw2.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 3tw3.jpg
    3tw3.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 74
That was then and this is now. The Three Toed Woodpecker has returned to the area around the shooting range in Hansta, Norra Järvafältet. Stomped around for a bit before it started to call, finally allowing me to catch up on it, a lot of miles gone into seeing this over three different days previous to today..Brilliant bird that gave great views on open pine trunks and rested for a while. No camera with me though which was a real shame, but the sketchbook benifits from its absence...

oooh congratulululations on the drawings- and the bird itself.

(Lots of unintelligible noise that expresses awe, jealousy, and all other sorts of emotions of such excellent drawings of such an amazing bird) Trying hard not to swear, really I am! So f******g GOOD! I want one! Hopefully the spread of the Swiss population will result in this species becoming firmly established in Franche Comté, the first breeding was proven in 2003 and the site is a closely guarded secret. (Hopefully by providing those in the know with all the artwork their publications can bear for free, I'll get to see them eventually - and the Lesser Spotted Eagles too!)

Brilliant, always and ever brilliant work!

Yes, must echo Tim here. Someone may have to sabotage that camera for awhile...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back