• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (1 Viewer)

Spectacular drawings, Alan. Makes me think of Van Dusen, in that there's never a mark put down without purpose! All this spring activity, and I've hardly poked my nose outdoors the past two weeks (after a long winter of moaning and griping!) -- tomorrow morning, for sure, for sure...

Sketches from Angarn yesterday, went for the Slavonian Grebes at the site. The reserve management has done a superb job, water levels are perfect as a result and saw nine birds yesterday, four pairs at least looking set to breed. Superb little birds they are too...
Sketches are here along with a summer Ruff, landed close by whilst I was watching some Wood Sandpipers, a cracking white maned male...

Lots of photos taken too, account of the day and these now posted on my blog...

Attachments

• Slav Page.jpg
    Slav Page.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 61
  • Sl 1.jpg
    Sl 1.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 64
  • sl 2.jpg
    sl 2.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 63
  • sl3.jpg
    sl3.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Ruff Sketch.jpg
    Ruff Sketch.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 76
Hi Alan,

I've been following this thread for a while, I which I could draw like that! Excellent.

Angarn is my favorite spot, I live not far away. Those Ruffs and Grebes are spectacular to watch. I've only started birdwatching for real last fall so this is my first real "bird spring". Always something new to discover at Angarn and I've been there almost every other day this month.

Regards Björn

Hi Alan,

I've been following this thread for a while, I which I could draw like that! Excellent.

Angarn is my favorite spot, I live not far away. Those Ruffs and Grebes are spectacular to watch. I've only started birdwatching for real last fall so this is my first real "bird spring". Always something new to discover at Angarn and I've been there almost every other day this month.

Regards Björn

Nice to hear from you Björn, glad you have enjoyed the thread.

Spring is really starting to liven up now and it wont be long before the summer species flood in, expect the next ten days will be fantastic days to get out in the field. If you see someone at Angarn hunched over a leica telescope sketching at Angarn it's probably me, do say hello! Enjoy the spring and it's birds until then...Good Birding,
Alan.

ooooh, superb slavs and resplendant ruff - I can't help but think that Swedish birds are better!

Swap you a Pygmy Owl for a Wallcreeper Nick!

Off to work shortly. Agonizingly its my last shift for two weeks, will be whipped into going out birding constantly over the next fourteen days. I'm beside myself with impending joy...

We've already got the pygmy owls, and Tengmalm's, not that I've seen them. The wallcreeper's packed and gone - probably back to the Alps, but if he's feeling adventurous who knows where he might end up?

Enjoy your freedom, we want to see lots of sketches from you in the next few weeks.

Spring Migrants

Few sketches from the last few days, all migrants. Find the birder coming out in me during passage, always moving on to the next area to try find a rarity, so the sketches become quicker as I try to get it all down....
Whinchats, Wheatears, Redstarts, Wood Warbler, Common and Lesser Whitethroat on these pages...

Attachments

• Whinner.jpg
    Whinner.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Wheatear 1.jpg
    Wheatear 1.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Wheatear 2.jpg
    Wheatear 2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Pied Flys.jpg
    Pied Flys.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 69
and the rest....

And now off to the pub for the season climax and a nail biting few hours hoping Man Utd. can stuff Wigan;)

Attachments

• Woody 1.jpg
    Woody 1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Woody 2.jpg
    Woody 2.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Redstart.jpg
    Redstart.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Redstart thumb.jpg
    Redstart thumb.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Migrants.jpg
    Migrants.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
you already know how much your sketches leave me agog, and these are no different, that same feeling of wow - the pleasure of seeing such living birds on paper, and the feeling of jealousy - that my pencils aren't capable of doing it the same way. Lots of my favourite birds here - all expertly done.

Ooooh! The pied flycatcer is so wonderful! And the singing wood warbler. And the whinchat. And... All of them!

Thoroughly gorgeous grebes - totally captivating and brilliantly captured.
Migrant fever at full pelt - all the energy and adrenalin of the day's events superbly encapsulated in the most elegent manner.
As usual, completely gob-smacking.

Off today, so to settle the nerves before the Champions League Final a bit of time sketching was in order! Sandemar full of Whinchat, Yellow Wagtails and Red Backed shrike now, all rather good subjects. No sign of the Bee Eater or Broad Billed Sandpiper present here yesterday though, which was dissapointing. Have also missed out on a male Collared Fycatcher and 2 Dotterel at the site over the last ten days due to working on the wrong days, thems'da breaks I suppose!
Yellow Wagtail was interesting, very dark headed, though probably an old male...

Attachments

• RB Page.jpg
    RB Page.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 49
  • RB 1.jpg
    RB 1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 46
  • RB 2.jpg
    RB 2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Yellow Wag.jpg
    Yellow Wag.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 57
Whinchat. Same male sketched for some time in pretty much similar pose. Thumbnail also here for a painting done today, something about the way these birds perch on the lightest stalks, bending them, that adds a tension to the scene, hard to describe, though interested in trying to capture it in a long vertical format...

Attachments

• Whin 1.jpg
    Whin 1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 67
  • Whin 2.jpg
    Whin 2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Whin 3.jpg
    Whin 3.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Whin Thumb.jpg
    Whin Thumb.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 59
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back