• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (1 Viewer)

hooray, for once you're posting things that I've been sketching these past few weeks, so I don't need to put envy aside to make a proper comment, apart from the fact I'm jealous as hell of your drawing technique. To be able to combine such accuracy with life is a true gift, again, a pleasure to see.

It's been 18 years since I saw my first and last Broad Bill! I've deliberatly not twitched one here in the hope of finding my own one, though they are rather scarce around Stockholm. Thought to myself an early visit was the best option, though bird may be there in the evenings only, as it was seen from about 3pm yesterday. Oh Well, am free tomorrow from 3pm, another trip will have to be made...

Perfect drawings. Sorry about the bbs, bit of a bggr. But what you were left with has been turned into some divine art - just lovely.
Just a note on 'finding' birds - I did a painting of starlings, lapwings and GPs last year and wanted a few more starling poses to finish off the comp. Could I hell-as-like find one!!!!! There were usually up to 500 in my b100dy field - not one. I guess the moral is; draw what's there, when it's there, cos one day it may not be.
Getting to 'squeaky-bum' time - eeek!

Perfect drawings. Sorry about the bbs, bit of a bggr. But what you were left with has been turned into some divine art - just lovely.
Just a note on 'finding' birds - I did a painting of starlings, lapwings and GPs last year and wanted a few more starling poses to finish off the comp. Could I hell-as-like find one!!!!! There were usually up to 500 in my b100dy field - not one. I guess the moral is; draw what's there, when it's there, cos one day it may not be.
Getting to 'squeaky-bum' time - eeek!

And a fine painting it turned out too Tim!

Can very much relate to what you are saying. I am more guilty than most of birding my way past the commoner species, not stopping to sketch as I should a Whinchat or Sedge Warbler, instead moving on in the hope of a "better" bird! I tend to do this a lot in May and Sept/October and tell myself I can catch up with the commoner ones during the quieter summer months, though often I never do as I cant find them as easily then, for whatever reason! The only answer is of course obvious, give up working and spend three more times the hours in the field....;)

PS; Enjoy the game, and fingers crossed. Liable to have a good hangover in the morning!

Last edited:
Lovin' the fieldwork as always Alan. You have a fabulously 'complete' way of drawing (that probably only makes sense to me!).

Is there some footie on or something?...

Mike

Big blocky head patterns, mmm! There's always so much expression to the eyes of your birds, too. I've thought of your sketches many a time while pencilling in the dark little eyes of songbirds -- I'm apt to give them all the same round, beady look, which doesn't do much for adding character.

Quick excursion to Sandemar before work this evening. Left the camera behind this time in order to focus on some sketching. Rosefinch the best bird, with nice views of a Cuckoo, my first viewable bird this year. Typically with the camera at home a Thrush Nightingale sang in full view! They just don't do that when you have a camera in the rucksack! Male Garganey still present, though the Broad Billed Sandpiper has moved on. Sure I heard a brief snatch of Golden Oriole song in the distance, a very scarce bird here, so will try early in the morning on monday again for that one....

Attachments

• Cuckoo page.jpg
    Cuckoo page.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Cuckoo 1.jpg
    Cuckoo 1.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Rosefinch.jpg
    Rosefinch.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Garganey.jpg
    Garganey.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 67
  • Thrush Gale.jpg
    Thrush Gale.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 78
great great sketches, the cuckoo is a wonderful half saggy half solid mass, just as they are in real life - the rosefinch, amazing, despite never having seen one (our extralimital population in Franche-comté went the same way as the British breeders) I could tell it was one off the thumbnail - Garganey - shape spot on, not like any other duck in the world. Excellent!

great great sketches, the cuckoo is a wonderful half saggy half solid mass, just as they are in real life - the rosefinch, amazing, despite never having seen one (our extralimital population in Franche-comté went the same way as the British breeders) I could tell it was one off the thumbnail - Garganey - shape spot on, not like any other duck in the world. Excellent!

Cuckoo really are a bit of a mess perched. Could be the small feet, or the weight of the wings which always seem to sag. Thought the one today might fall off the fence at one point. Perhaps they drink heavily....

Wonderful work Alan. I'm very fond of gargany, they're not all that common round here. I caught a brief sighting on sunday though so thanks for the reminder.

Mike

After a long absence, finally got out in the field. Location was Tyresö Strand, birds on show and sketched were Little Ringed Plovers, Black Throated Diver pair, a chick which I am fairly sure is a Ringed Plover(both species present though judged it as ringed on the bill depth, though might be wrong!) Also a Willow Warbler Sketch that I am happy with....
Have managed to get off for the Euro final and am off now for my first bevvie in two weeks! Bottoms up to you all and good luck to the Spanish! Just hope they dont bottle it!

Attachments

• LRP1.jpg
    LRP1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Lrp 2.jpg
    Lrp 2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Rp Chick.jpg
    Rp Chick.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Black Throats.jpg
    Black Throats.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Willow Warbler.jpg
    Willow Warbler.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 54
What a return to the Forum! I note a slightly less 'involved' feel to these drawings, and perhaps they even benefit from that somewhat - the way you have handled the legs and feet on the lrp and ww drawings is thoroughly examplarary - not a line too many, yet perfectly described - brilliant. The chick is just a very lovely study of a very lovely creature (Can't comment on whether lrp or rp) and the divers are a bit of a forte of yours, so no surprise to see this drawing as well crafted as it is.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back