• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (1 Viewer)

Not over the edge as yet, might well of been had I not seen my first this year in march, wonderful birds. The Myttinge bird seems to be very stationary, so am hopeful of catching up on this one in the near future. Nice photo Pinusen, glad you got to see it...

Out this morning, back down to Tantolunden for more sketching, figure while the strike is on I might as well concentrate on some common birds and decided on Great Crested Grebes today with a view to getting some references for a painting in the near future. Lots of resting poses today, birds relaxed in a small, loose group. May go back for a few more sketches of more active birds over the next few days and then try put something together...
Any how, three pages from today over the next few posts....

First page here....

Attachments

• GC Page A.jpg
    GC Page A.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 58
  • GC a1.jpg
    GC a1.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 70
  • GC a2.jpg
    GC a2.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 70
Second page....

Attachments

• GC Page B.jpg
    GC Page B.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 69
  • GC b1.jpg
    GC b1.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 66
  • GC b2.jpg
    GC b2.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 59
  • GC b3.jpg
    GC b3.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 66
...and the last....

Attachments

• GC Page C.jpg
    GC Page C.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 75
  • GC c1.jpg
    GC c1.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 64
  • GC c2.jpg
    GC c2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 69
  • GC c3.jpg
    GC c3.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 61
Just beautiful. Paint them - now!

It's all I want to do, infernal work beckons in an hour though! Already have a good idea of where these will lead and am looking forward to getting started, though am not off a full day until Monday. Will make a start then i think, will work on some compositional sketches in the meantime in the early afternoons over the weekend....

Oh, wish we had GCGs! Such lovely shapes they fold into, our common Red-necked counterparts don't have heads quite that interesting. Delightful.

Been a while....

Been back in Ireland visiting family and busy at work, finally some time off this month, so far it has been fabulous, running into good birds all the time at the minute. Best this week was a 1st year Broad Billed Sandpiper, my first here in Sweden and only second ever, the first being in Ireland, Wicklow, a very long time ago when I was a teen, 20 odd years. Just looking at this bird made me feel old! Little Stint another nice wader seen. Little Gulls at Ravalen were great, some quick sketches taken as they fed over the lake. Bluethroats are pretty much present at most sites just now, several this week, best sketch posted. Arctic Skua Juv. on the deck was also a treat for me, used to seeing them bomb along through the scope at some distance...
Joyfully, I am off to NW Spain in the morning to visit friends and latest newborn, there for a week so expect I will get out for a daily ramble and the birding gear and sketch book is going. Be based in Canges near Vigo, not a great area as Spain goes but will no doubt find something of interest daily...

Attachments

• Broad Bill.jpg
    Broad Bill.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 62
  • Little Stint.jpg
    Little Stint.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Arctic Skua.jpg
    Arctic Skua.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Last few here, perhaps more ID notes for myself, find when I am birding actively at this time of year the sketches tend to move in this direction...

Attachments

• Bluethroat Page.jpg
    Bluethroat Page.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Bluethroat.jpg
    Bluethroat.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Little Gulls.jpg
    Little Gulls.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 75
Well - good to have you back, however briefly, and what a group of drawings! Stunning birds, super-stunning images. Utterly gob-smacking. Just perfect gull flight sketches (and the rest, of course).

The blue throat... I think my jaw dropped to the floor. Every time I look at your biro work, I feel like I should do more in that medium. Splendid!!! There's also something about the skua that made me take a second look.

Elina

The blue throat... I think my jaw dropped to the floor. Every time I look at your biro work, I feel like I should do more in that medium. Splendid!!! There's also something about the skua that made me take a second look.

Elina

Me too, wondering if it was a juv. long tailed...

I don't know how you manage to see shapes like that, I'd have spent ages looking and then scribbled something crap onto the paper. Good to see you back, (shame you brought a bluethroat with you;)). Just stunning stuff!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back