• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

Been neglecting the thread a little of late, though been birding a lot. Always find it hard to stop and sketch at this time of year with the possibility of scarce or rare birds high. Been a terrible Sept. here for rarities, winds west or Northwest the whole month...
Anyhow, a couple of drawings from the past few weeks here done with graphite stick. Both are large drawings on A3 pad, nice way to draw. Caspian Gull 1st Calender and Tree Sparrow here. Tree Sparrows are fueling my thoughts at the moment, 500 birds present not far from the apartment, with the autumn leaves and colours I am thinking about a large collage...

Attachments

• Caspian Gull.jpg
    Caspian Gull.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Tree sparrow.jpg
    Tree sparrow.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Angarn yesterday. Highlight was a stunning White Tailed Eagle right over my head, though no sketches. I did get some decent photos which are now on the blog.
Quite a poor day for birds really, so made myself sketch what was there. A feature of the time of year is Jay hording acorns, lots about yesterday, sketch here. Also Reed Buntings everywhere for some reason, all very viewable, which is not normal, so spent ime on them too, results here.

Attachments

• Jay.jpg
    Jay.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 48
  • Reed in Thistle.jpg
    Reed in Thistle.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Reed Page.jpg
    Reed Page.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Reed 1.jpg
    Reed 1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Reed 2.jpg
    Reed 2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 32
very strong stuff here - though we expect nothing less! Tree Sparrow collage - DO IT!!! Yes! You do them so well. That Jay is just aching to be painted too.

very strong stuff here - though we expect nothing less! Tree Sparrow collage - DO IT!!! Yes! You do them so well. That Jay is just aching to be painted too.

Been having hassle finding crepe paper, which is the way forward for the Tree Sparrow piece I reckon, going on a tour of Stocholm City art stores tomorrow to try track some down...
Will get to the Jay too, figure that to be a largish canvas and acrylic...

love the tree sparrow sketches, strong simple form with the deep contrast in markings...can't wait for the collage.

Oh - lovely stuff here Alan - talk about eye-candy. That caspian gull's a gem and a half - great bird and exquisite rendition - lines and tones amalgamate into liquid water and rounded, soft form. Beaaaaauuuuuty!

Oh - lovely stuff here Alan - talk about eye-candy. That caspian gull's a gem and a half - great bird and exquisite rendition - lines and tones amalgamate into liquid water and rounded, soft form. Beaaaaauuuuuty!

I'm with Tim on the Caspian Gull. A very strong drawing, for all the reason Tim says........

A feature of the time of year is Jay hording acorns, lots about yesterday, sketch here. Also Reed Buntings everywhere for some reason, all very viewable, which is not normal, so spent ime on them too, results here.

Paint them, paint them, paint them. These need colour!

Super sketches as always, there's a host of paintings just begging to be worked on in this little lot so don't keep us waiting too long!

Mike

Angarn yesterday. Highlight was a stunning White Tailed Eagle right over my head, though no sketches. I did get some decent photos which are now on the blog.
Quite a poor day for birds really, so made myself sketch what was there. A feature of the time of year is Jay hording acorns, lots about yesterday, sketch here. Also Reed Buntings everywhere for some reason, all very viewable, which is not normal, so spent ime on them too, results here.

Always a red letter day when one of your little collections pops up. Pic 2 (bunting on weeds) on here caught my eye - somehow extra delicate.

Crepe paper found as indeed was a wonderful little art and hobby shop, full of good stuff. With the tree sparrows in mind picked out an autumnal range, from dark neutral grey through to a dull mustard yellow. Tree Sparrows started, trying a smallish piece first(18x14"), may go on to a larger piece after that if this one goes well.
Tree Sparrow trio here, paint slapped on a bit uncerimoniously pre collage leaves..

Attachments

• Crepe.jpg
    Crepe.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 31
  • TS 1.jpg
    TS 1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 39
Burning the midnight oil here, almost 3am, have been in a somewhat zomboid state of mind for the past couple of hours cutting up leaf shaped crepe and coloured tissue paper, then glue, then pasting. Have discovered by happy accident the transparent qualities of the tissue can be rather useful, lighter foreground leaves have been made more opaque by way of liberal amounts of PVA glue to back up the tissue. Have decided on the use of red tissue to help bind the picture together, just seem to work. Happy with the collaged leaves now I think. Feeling my way through this one, rather an enjoyable process...
Next some dark paint to give depth, the detail on the birds last I think, may go on through the night. Progress so far here...

Attachments

• Ts2.jpg
    Ts2.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 41
Getting there. I think this one is one of those that falls together at the end, added some darks for depth and some branches now done. Should be done soon. Hoping to get over To Årstafältet to get some more Tree Sparrow sketches for a bigger piece..

Attachments

• Ts3.jpg
    Ts3.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 37
Tree Sparrow Collage; 18"x14"; Cloured Tissue, Crepe Paper and Acrylic.

All done, this has been great fun to do. Not doing any more to this, birds need to stay a little loose to match the collaged leaves.

Attachments

• Tree Sparrow Collage.jpg
    Tree Sparrow Collage.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 46
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back