• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Woody's 2007 sketchbook (1 Viewer)

Another visit to Elmley at the weekend and more kestrels. The morning began very misty, which is almost always an indicator of a day of sunshine. The sun began its ascent around 7.00 and made for a lovely scene with the ground mist. Three swallows flew over as we moved off after the sun began to burn off the mist, probably birds that have spent the summer further north and are stopping off for a bit of refuelling on the way south. Farewell to summer.

The ride out was quiet again, all the yellow wags seem to have gone and the large numbers of lapwing and curlew haven't arrived yet. The kestrels were once again very much in evidence and a couple more sketches seemed in order. Next week a change of venue is planned so perhaps some woodland birds for a change.

Once home I spent the rest of the day working my golfinch sketches into a 'Derryesque' composition....

Woody

Attachments

• elmkes3.jpg
    elmkes3.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 65
  • elmkes4.jpg
    elmkes4.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 76
lovely sketches, there is such concentration on the bird's face. Looking forward to this Derryesqueiness of a composition!

another weekend, another kessy

Elmley still quiet, paused in anticipation of the autumn/winter flocks of teal, wigeon, lapwing, curlew etc...

Meantime the juvenile kestrels continue to pose, we spent quite some time with one as she allowed us a close approach. She eventually cast, roused and went off for a morning hunt but whilst she was with us she posed like a professional.

Later I spotted two youngsters together, both soaking up a little sun. I thought it unusual to see juveniles of the age these two must be still together?

A fifteen minute coffee break in the observatory conservatory produced yet more spuggies and a collared dove. (Note to self: Must do another sparrow pic.).

Off to some woodland this weekend so perhaps a change of subject!

Woody

Attachments

• elmkes5.jpg
    elmkes5.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 66
  • elmkes6.jpg
    elmkes6.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 68
  • elmkes7.jpg
    elmkes7.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 68
  • elmkes8.jpg
    elmkes8.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 66
  • grdn1.jpg
    grdn1.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Beautiful set of drawings. Clearly loads of excellent material for further development here. Spuggies are never to be overlooked - and yes, you must (once you've done the honourable thing with the kes drawings!).

woody , I'm lovin the Kestrels to. Your first sketch is superb. The
Attitude of that Kestrel is spot on. Is that going to be a colour work?? please!

Elmley sunday 21st oct

The day was full of promise at 5.00 am. The sky was clear, the stars were out and there was a definite nip in the air. Off to Elmley, as the sun began to lighten the sky there was some light mist showing beneath the street lamps. Along by the marshes I spotted a little owl in the area of the tree stump where 'my' little owl would often be, perhaps a new tenant has moved in. Approaching the bridge I could see a wall of fog along the river and driving into it the visibility sank to a few yards, not good! The temperature dropped to a reading of -3 and the fog began freezing on the windscreen. I nearly missed the turning to the reserve and once I was on I could do nothing but park the car and wait for the fog to lift. After about an hour of just sitting, snoozing, and listening to the calls of curlew, coot and wigeon, the fog began thin and I moved on slowly. Caught sight of a water rail at the edge of one of the ponds, worth making a note of for another time. Watched as a group of wigeon came in and started feeding, still too foggy to see clearly enough for sketching.

Eventually I saw a female marsh harrier sitting on the ground unusually close to the road, as she seemed to be waiting for the sun I thought I'd wait too and settled down with the scope focussed as best I could. When the sun eventually climbed high enough at about 9.15 the harrier began to bob her head, then preen and wing stretch, obviously preparing to start her day, then when the fog disappeared the sun was pretty strong and I got some sketching done. Two other cars stopped to watch and I felt quite pleased with my day. One of the other cars came past and the chap asked me if I'd seen 'the other one?' No, says I where would that be? 'Just over there', (directly behind me) says he, 'a little kestrel or hobby'. Perched behind me was a female merlin, in the sun, not far from the road, in the open..... AAHHRRGGHHHH! A rapid 6 point turn later and off flew the merlin....

Woody

Attachments

• marsh ground1.jpg
    marsh ground1.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 92
  • marshground2.jpg
    marshground2.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 98
sod the merlin, that first harrier is SO GOOD, bold, solid, unfussed and with a delicate lightness to it at the same time, really one of your best.

It's frustrating just how much stuff we miss whilst concentrating, bearded tits are my sketching bogey, every time I go to a reserve where there are some I end up sketching and not noticing them right next to me until some passerby asks if I was sketching the bearded tits, by which time they've pinged off. Never actually sketched one ever, I did attempt to sketch my lifer one in 96 but it looked more like a dirty spreading knife.

Nick, I'll be using the expression 'pinged off' for beardies from now on! 'They've pinged off, so I'm pinged off!'

Woody

Thanks Arthur, really made me chuckle! The bloody thing could well have been doing that and I still wouldn't have seen it! I'm going to have it though...this year!

Woody

Ha ha - excellent contribution, Arthur! (is that King Arthur?!)
And sorry you missed the Merlin, Mike - but I'm also grateful for it, 'cos of the wonderful harrier drawings it's neglect has allowed us. I really think your life-drawing is on another level now - captivating!

Re-think

Just having a bit of a re-think with the barn owl battling the wind. I think putting the bird into this 'amalgamated' landscape could work if I can work enough 'wind' and movement into the clouds.

Woody

Attachments

• bo_layout.jpg
    bo_layout.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 82
  • bo_layout_2.jpg
    bo_layout_2.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 84
certainly looking good, the first pic is the composition to go for, too much sky above does little to guide the eye and cuts the pic in two, really excellent comp. sketch, could stand alone as a drawing itself. Looking forward to seeing how you tackle this old demon.

Cheers Nick. The first 'letterbox' one was my initial thought, the second one was my musing. I should trust my instincts.

Woody

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back