• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuerteventura; a new species for the WP? (1 Viewer)

Petri

Hi,

while at Costa Calma, Fuerteventura, 12th of March, I encountered this dove at the middle section of the 'Costa Calma Woodland', the planted woods long the coastal highway. It probably still is there, if alive, as there are limited sources of food and water in the area.

To me, it looks like a good candidate for a Vinaceous Dove, based on 1) structure in comparison to a Eurasian Collared Dove which tried to court it (smaller, plumper, clearly not as elongated), 2) vinaceous/brownish overall color, particularly breast, 3) paler wingtips (brown), 4) pale blue orbital rings (not white as with ECD), and 5) the black loral stripes to the eyes.

Or would anybody have a better explanation?

If it was a Vinaceous Dove, genuine vagrancy cannot be ruled out, with the species' apparent expansion in Mauritania and Fuerteventura's (SE coast) relatively close proximity to it's African breeding grounds. There are storms from Sahara which may not only bring in tons of sand but birds, too.

PS. Would anybody have Tony Clarke's current email? A private message would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Vinac1.jpg
    Vinac1.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
Hi Mark,

Thank you for your contribution! So many have seen the photos but have not made any comments. Well, these 'collared doves' can be tricky.

Personally, I do not pay that much attention to Eurasian Collared Doves, for example, and especially not in terms of identification! With capicola and roseogrisea, the id is mostly based on vocalizations and location, I have to admit.

Yes, the collar is narrow and white-lined if compared to those photos (your links) but nevertheless similar to some other photos in the net. The collar of a Vinaceous Dove should be white-lined, even though this may not show if it is puffed.

According to my field experience with Vinaceous Dove, the collar usually looks relatively narrow, but square-fronted. On the other hand, I have mostly seen them in rather cold conditions and not when hot and alert at a drinking pool, in a social situation.

The Costa Calma dove is in full shadow (also, +15C) and the contrasts therefore low. What I called 'loral stripe' is the dark area between the beak and the eye. Eurasian Collared Doves may have an appearance like that, but not necessarily so close to the eye. Overall, there is variety in appearance and this makes things complicated.

I have included another grainy shot to illustrate the head. You are right that the loral area is unlike in the 'your photos', but in some other photos, the appearance is like this, or even hour-glass shaped. In the photo, I have just arrived at the site and the dove is alert, on the edge of flying off.

In the field, the overall color (e.g. underside) was rather striking, in comparison to the ECD in the area, in addition to structural differences & size. (In my first message, all the comments are in comparison to the ECD seen in the same area).

The fact that the sides of the face are darker than the nape does not fit well either to ECD or VD?

I hope somebody with intimate knowledge of European Collared Doves would mail a comment. An aberrant ECD? A hybrid is another possibility, but I would not be ready to go there yet.

Attachments

• Vina4.jpg
    Vina4.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 125
Hi Petri,

Tricky and interesting bird! Here is what I think:

- Although it seems you have seen a black loral stripe, it is far from obvious on the photos. The loral stripe should be as black as the collar on a VD, and it should broaden towards the eye too. I fail to see both these features on your bird while I feel it should be readily visible on the close up picture showing the head.
- The brownish colour of the primaries is of little significance I think as ECD may equally show brownish primaires once these are old/faded/sun bleached. Compare to this ECD from march: http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Image:Streptopelia_decaocto_by_mali.jpg
- Finally on all your picture, I can dectect a reddish tinge around the pupil which suggest the iris is red: on VD the eye (iris + pupil) is wholly dark/black.

So I am not sure what your bird is, but I don't think there is enough here to claim a WP first.

Here is a recent photo of Vinaceous Dove.

I don't know what is your bird, but to my eyes nothing like a pure, wild Vinaceous Dove I'm afraid.

Attachments

• streptopelia_vinacea_ug1.jpg
    streptopelia_vinacea_ug1.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 184
Hi Tib78 and Valéry,

Thank you for your responses! In regard to the main conclusion, I tend to agree with you, even though for somewhat different reasons. I have also been contacted by people who think it clearly is a VD, and guided them to have another look on the issue. Possibly a hybrid between Eurasian or African Collared Dove and smaller streptopelia?

Nevertheless, there has not yet been any definite response from the 'big guys', and therefore no 'claim'. The problem lies in individual variation within each species.

To Tib78:

- Yes, I agree the faded brown primaries are a useless feature in regard to VD identification. It was just a feature different to the ECDs present in the 'woodland', which all had fresh primaries.
- Similarly, the loral stripe has, according to literature, little value as a VD id feature. It is individually variable, e.g. narrow or non-existing in fresh plumage and variably wide in worn out plumage. Its about exposed skin and can be messy late in the season.
- The point about pupil color is an interesting one. I need to have closer look on my RAW files. Didn't think it was possible to see the color of the pupils (in the field, the eyes looked all dark).
- (There was a vocal African Collared Dove in a barranco further up north on the east coast. Without the call, next to impossible to separate from ECDs in field).

To Valéry:

- A great short of a standard/guidebook VD! Nevertheless, add shadow, an abraded plumage, individual variation, the possibility of second or third generation hybridism, and things get more complicated... If the Costa Calma bird had been typical, it would be easier to put a name on it, without question marks.

All in all, an interesting case... Some have commented that they cannot find a photo of a similar dove in the net. Well, there are not many photos of collared dove hybrids there...

- The point about pupil color is an interesting one. I need to have closer look on my RAW files. Didn't think it was possible to see the color of the pupils (in the field, the eyes looked all dark).

Sorry, confused here. Surely pupils are always dark? It's the hole where the light goes through...

I finally had time to check the RAW-files. Yes, the irises are red, contrasting with dark pupils. That rules out vinacea and capicola (both with dark/blackish brown irises), and leaves roseogrisea and decaocto. With the small size and structural difference, and the bluish orbital skin, the bird is likely to be an African Collared Dove, after all, a darker individual than the ones I had previously seen.

(The species has been introduced in Fuerteventura, some time ago).

Good point, Tib78, and just the kind of argument I was looking for when submitting this (a bit provocative, to get attention) message to the forum! Being busy with other things right now, I was glad to receive your help.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back