• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

G9 with pancake 20mm F1.7 lens locking up. (1 Viewer)

Exiled

Hi,

First post here. New digiscoping set-up: Decades of photography experience.

Kowa TSN-884, 25-60x zoom, DA-10, Panasonic 20mm F1.7 pancake, G9.

The weight of the G9 camera on the pancake lens is regularly locking up the camera.
I would have gone with the '883 had I known. It might have been kinder on the lens.

I rarely manage 6 shots before the G9 shutter will no longer depress. Switch the G9 off and on again and it manages another 6 shots.
No problems at all when the pancake lens is no longer supporting the camera by its filter thread.

Ideally I'd just get a 35cm long plate to support the camera properly. But none are available in the '500 Manfrotto head profile.

Is this a common problem when digiscoping with the Panasonic 20mm F1.7 pancake and straight through 'scopes?

If so, how do I fix it?

It seems I can now answer my own question. :t:

The Sirui VH-350 Long Lens Support Plate is probably the answer to my problems.

I never knew they existed until today.

The VH is compatible with most of the Manfrotto 500 series of video heads and others.

They also do a TY-350 long plate for their own PH-20 gimbal head.

Each model has a very long sliding plate with a rise and fall camera support at the tail end. Only the sliding plate profiles differ.

Happy days are here again... |:D|

Let's be safe out there!

Just to be complete: Further research has thrown up the following.

The Kowa TSN-PA7 system avoids using the pancake lens and DA10.

The system still uses the Kowa eyepiece but the much larger and longer adapter plugs straight into the camera body via a matching T2 ring.

If you have to ask the price... :eek!:

Give a man a fish and he can feed his family for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he can exceed quotas and rid the seas of all fish.
|;|

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back