• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help needed:Kowa 883, Panasonic G9, 20mm pancake lens and Kowa da10 adaptor (1 Viewer)

stuarta21

Hi all, I'm hoping someone will be able to help me. I've recently started digiscoping, the attached pics are taken using manual focus for the pancake lens, iso 1600, f1.7. So far I've been unable to get my pics sharp, is this down to my settings, lack of knowledge/experience, unrealistic expectations in the conditions or something else?

Grateful for any advice, observations!

Attachments

• PANA4388.JPG
    PANA4388.JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 26
  • PANA4389.JPG
    PANA4389.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 26
  • PANA4361.JPG
    PANA4361.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 26
  • PANA4379.JPG
    PANA4379.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 24
  • PANA4400.JPG
    PANA4400.JPG
    7.6 MB · Views: 25
Hi all, I'm hoping someone will be able to help me. I've recently started digiscoping, the attached pics are taken using manual focus for the pancake lens, iso 1600, f1.7. So far I've been unable to get my pics sharp, is this down to my settings, lack of knowledge/experience, unrealistic expectations in the conditions or something else?

Grateful for any advice, observations!

May I know at what magnification and shutter speed of those pics were taken?

May I know at what magnification and shutter speed of those pics were taken?
Hi horukuru, many thanks for taking the time to reply. I've attached the histogram/file info for two of the pics, hope this is useful.
I took the pics over a few days a couple of weeks ago, I would think they would be 60x mag or close to it. Grateful to any suggestions you may have.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220228-085744__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20220228-085744__01.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20220228-090051__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20220228-090051__01.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 4
Hi horukuru, many thanks for taking the time to reply. I've attached the histogram/file info for two of the pics, hope this is useful.
I took the pics over a few days a couple of weeks ago, I would think they would be 60x mag or close to it. Grateful to any suggestions you may have.

Usually when we zoomed the eyepiece to the max says 60x, lens diffraction (https://www.masterclass.com/articles/what-is-lens-diffraction-in-photography) kicks in and soften the images etc. Not only that, heat haze and also the distance plays major role in making our images soft when captured with any cameras.

What I normally do, I shoot at 30x and for documentation purposes, I zoomed at 70x but in video mode (good if you can record in 4k, then grab any frame from it for still images) For shooting in the open like lakes, marshes, coast, lower down your tripod in sitting position to avoid blur images causes by wind. Best time to shoot in the morning and late afternoon.

But if you could get closer to your subject at lowest magnification on your scope, the result would be much better

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back