• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gaiters or not? (1 Viewer)

Cool?????

We go out on cold winter days to look at small feathered things! Let's face it we ain't really cool..... man!

Gaitors for me.................

Only problem is that some of the modern goretex, sympatex or whatevertex material that is used in the construction of Gaiters to make them waterproof can be a bit swishy and noisy as you walk along and as they rustle agains each other or the undergrowth - so it's a good idea to give try them out for noise levels in a walking/camping shop methinks.

Otherwise they are fab - although they do take longer to get on than a pair of wellies.

For quick walks I usually use a stout pair of neoprene lined Hunter rubber boots which have a Vibram walking sole and can be had for about £45.

For longer walks where varied weather conditions will be experienced I prefer my trust walking boots and gaiters.

Frogbad said:
Otherwise they are fab - although they do take longer to get on than a pair of wellies.

I nearly threw mine away !!
Nightmare - I looked weird and was exhausted from struggling with putting them on and then I fell over walking on the underboot straps - didn't realise they were 'handed' like shoes.
Sorted - wouldn't go out without them even if it's dry and I'm not in a reed bed - they keep your calves (and hence feet) so warm and toasty - it's those cold extremeties (head/hands/feet) that make you feel miserable when the body shuts down blood supply to them to keep the core warm
It's always my fingers that get me to give up and go home and I haven't worked out a solution, I'm in two fleeces/goretex coat/long johns/gaiters/gortex boots/wooly hat and I'm fine but the fingers really hurt despite trying 'thinsulate' type gloves - see that people use silk inners below thinsulate but can't find any.

Chris Oates said:
I nearly threw mine away !!
I'm fine but the fingers really hurt despite trying 'thinsulate' type gloves - see that people use silk inners below thinsulate but can't find any.

Found silk gloves at Millets - really like them - wearing them I can use all the small buttons on my DSLR and roll cigarettes.
Was a time when if the weather was grotty I wouldn't bother going out - haven't missed a day out this winter - all my clothing & boots were bought in sales - I look odd and much bigger than I really am but survived 5 hours at the estuary today warm as toast - only birder I met was on his way home as he'd just stepped in a puddle with his highly polished town shoes.

Getting back to gaiters - I'm taking mine with me regardless - today was pretty warm but the temperature fell rapidly in the afternoon and getting the gaiters on soon warmed my feet as my calves warmed up - silk gloves & gaiters are definitely my 'best buys'

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back