• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Galapagos Lava Heron (1 Viewer)

MiddleRiver

United States
I am unclear whether there is in fact a 'Lava Heron'. Birds of the World, Cornell, etc. do not list it. Is it a taxo change?
To further confuse me, when googling 'Lava Heron' I do see an all grey Heron, with the exception of a couple of individual websites that show something that looks like a Yellow-crowned Night Heron:

I took this back in 1991, obviously standing on lava in the Galapagos. Yellow-crowned?

Yellow-crowned Night Heron 1991 Galapagos DSB03814-Edit.jpg

Lava Heron is recognised as a species by IOC but not by Clements or AOS or Birdlife who consider it to be included with Striated Heron. So it depends on which bird list you are using.

Yellow-crowned night heron in Galapagos is also a separate subspecies. Whether anyone want to make it a species, I don't know.
Niels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back