• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gallirallus australis hectori (Hutton, 1874) and others (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Gallirallus australis hectori (Hutton, 1874) OD v.6 (1873) - Transactions and proceedings of the New Zealand Institute - Biodiversity Heritage Library
No obvious dedication. But they published together Fishes of New Zealand - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Megalapteryx hectori Haast, 1886 OD v.12 (1886-1890) - Transactions of the Zoological Society of London - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Dr. J. Hector has rendered to science in New Zealand.
Podiceps Hectori Buller, 1865 OD Essay on the Ornithology of New Zealand, by Walter Buller
Dr. Hector obtained several specimens of this fine bird during his exploration of the Otago Province, and they are now deposited in the Provincial Museum.
Turnagra hectori, Buller, 1869 OD ser.2:v.5=no.17-20 (1869) - Ibis - Biodiversity Heritage Library
I have honoured this fine species with the name of my esteemed friend Dr. James Hector, F.R.S., Director of Geological Surveys, who has done much to advance the cause of science in New Zealand.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds
Weka ssp. Gallirallus australis hectori F. W. Hutton, 1874
Dr Sir James Hector (1834–1907) was a Scottish-born Canadian geologist who took his medical degree at Edinburgh and, as both geologist and surgeon, was part of the Palliser expedition to western North America (1857–1860). He discovered and named many landmarks in the Rocky Mountains, including Kicking Horse Pass, the route later taken by the Canadian Pacific Railway. He returned to Scotland via the Pacific Coast, the California goldfields, and Mexico. He became the Director of the Geological Survey of New Zealand (1865) and and eventually the Curator of the Colonial Museum in Wellington (Museum of New Zealand Te Papa). He wrote Outlines of New Zealand Geology (1886). Two mammals are named after him.

Sir James Hector (1834-1907) Canadian geologist, surgeon, explorer in North America 1857-1860, Director of Geological Survey of New Zealand 1865 (subsp. Gallirallus australis, ‡syn. Megalapteryx didinus, syn. Podiceps cristatus australis, ‡syn. Turnagra tanagra).

If I read James Hector - Wikipedia I am wondering why such a focus on Canada in the claims. Even his father was from Aberdeen Alexander Hector and the mother a née MacRostie (a very scottish name) would make him more Scottish than anything else. But feel free to correct my opinion. I see even more time in New Zealand in his CV than time in Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back