• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gambia - Kiang West National Park (1 Viewer)

Arbu

Off to The Gambia for a week next Tuesday. I know it's not the best time of year to go, but, the package was an absolute bargain, and at least it's not the rainy season. I've done a bit of research on the Internet and it looks as if Abuko is clearly the place to go for a day or two. Then I could spend another day at other sites near the coast. And the other thing to do would be to go upriver to Tendaba and the Kiang West National Park. But I've read that the 90km journey to Tendaba can take eight hours as the road is awful. Plus the BBC forecasts temperatures of around 32C at Banjul and more like 42C (albeit less humid) inland. So do you think it's worth me going to Tendaba or should I focus just on the coast?

In a week there is more than enough to keep you occupied in the coastal area. Tendaba/Kiang is good for raptors such as Bateleur & for various waterbirds such as Goliath Heron, Kingfishers,etc. However this is not the best time to go to Tendaba as you will be unlikely to see specialities such as Finfoot & White-backed Night Heron & every chance of Goliath Heron, Mouse-brown Sunbird & Pelicans at coastal sites.
The south bank road is awful & is not worth travelling for just one overnight at Tendaba.

I would suggest you do the Kotu area with a local guide as there is a lot to see if you know where to look. Do Abuko (twice if possible), go to Brufut then on to Tanji beach & though Pirang is poor at this time of year the Faraba Bush track is good for raptors (including Bateleur & Martial Eagle) & the locals have recently dug a large waterhole to pull good stuff in over the dry season. If you could do a creek trip at Makasutu then you should get Mouse-brown Sunbird & Goliath Heron as long as you are not with a noisy group of non-birders!! It would also be worthwhile getting a good guide to take to to Kampanti which is a 2+ hour drive but the site is good for raptors. See www.gambiabirds.org/Other bird sites.htm for a little info on the sites.
To make the best of your trip I would consider a good birding guide. I have a friend who guides in the Gambia & can thoroughly recommend him -let me know if you want his details. He has a website which is currently in the process of being constructed but is worth a quick visit-> see www.gambianbirds.com
Let me know if you need any further info.

Thanks very much for your helpful response. I think I'll take your advice and not go to Tendaba. I've seen lots of the African raptors before anyway.

If you have Modou's contact details that would be useful, please.

Do you know anything about Jinack Island and the Niumi National Park? They look quite interesting yet I haven't seen much discussion of them anywhere. I'm staying right in Banjul, so I would only have to cross the river to get there.

You can stay at Madiyana camp on Jinack but I don't think it has electricity or running water. Going on a day trip to Jinack probably won't be worthwhile as you need to get back on the penultimate ferry (as the last ferry often fails to run!!).
Try to organise a day trip to Makasutu > if you can get there early & get out on a canoe creek trip at dawn then birds will come thick & fast. I've stayed a few times at Mandina lodges there & the birding is brilliant > we had Martial Eagles over the swimming pool & Mouse-brown Sunbird whilst in the shower!! I think the Gambia Experience run morning bird trips to Makasutu but they possibly end in april. Local guides avoid Makasutu as they charge an entrance fee.
Another useful resource for you is The Gambian Birding & Conservation Group: www.gambiabirding.org I'll send you a PM with Modou's mobile phone number > you can send him a text (he has to use an internet cafe to access his Email & so only checks Email once a week).

Steve G said:
You can stay at Madiyana camp on Jinack but I don't think it has electricity or running water. Going on a day trip to Jinack probably won't be worthwhile as you need to get back on the penultimate ferry (as the last ferry often fails to run!!).
Try to organise a day trip to Makasutu > if you can get there early & get out on a canoe creek trip at dawn then birds will come thick & fast. I've stayed a few times at Mandina lodges there & the birding is brilliant > we had Martial Eagles over the swimming pool & Mouse-brown Sunbird whilst in the shower!! I think the Gambia Experience run morning bird trips to Makasutu but they possibly end in april. Local guides avoid Makasutu as they charge an entrance fee.
Another useful resource for you is The Gambian Birding & Conservation Group: www.gambiabirding.org I'll send you a PM with Modou's mobile phone number > you can send him a text (he has to use an internet cafe to access his Email & so only checks Email once a week).

Thanks, I'll drop Madou a line. Makasutu sounds impressive, if not just for birds, so I think a day there would be well worthwhile. For Jinack Island I believe you can get a boat with one of the lodges so I might try to do that to avoid public transport, and maybe spend one night on the island.

Arbu said:
Thanks. Do you know what time in the morning Abuko opens?

From memory 8 am, if it is shut when you get there (Gambian time is very relaxed) the field opposite holds painted snipe.

Mark

Thanks for the advice. Going in May seemed to be OK. I got 181 species in the week. Probably fewer than I'd have seen in winter, but many of the extra birds I would have seen then would have been European migrants with which I'm familiar anyway. I did go to Tendaba in the end as I wanted a change of scene, and I think it was worthwhile as we saw quite a bit there. Best birds of the trip were many sightings of Green Turaco at Abuko, a Vermiculated Eagle Owl at Faraba, and a White-backed Night Heron at Bao Bolon. Here's the full list:

Double-spurred Francolin
Ahanta Francolin
White-faced Whistling-Duck
Lesser Honeyguide
Fine-spotted Woodpecker
Buff-spotted Woodpecker
Cardinal Woodpecker
Grey Woodpecker
Brown-backed Woodpecker
Yellow-fronted Tinkerbird
Vieillot's Barbet
Bearded Barbet
Red-billed Hornbill
African Pied Hornbill
African Grey Hornbill
Eurasian Hoopoe
Green Woodhoopoe
Black Scimitar-bill
Abyssinian Roller
Rufous-crowned Roller
Blue-bellied Roller
Malachite Kingfisher
African Pygmy-Kingfisher
Grey-headed Kingfisher
Blue-breasted Kingfisher
Striped Kingfisher
Giant Kingfisher
Pied Kingfisher
Little Bee-eater
Swallow-tailed Bee-eater
White-throated Bee-eater
Blue-cheeked Bee-eater
Senegal Coucal
Senegal Parrot
Rose-ringed Parakeet
Mottled Spinetail
African Palm-Swift
Little Swift
Guinea Turaco
Violet Turaco
Western Grey Plantain-eater
Northern White-faced Owl
Vermiculated Eagle-Owl
Pearl-spotted Owlet
Speckled Pigeon
Laughing Dove
Mourning Collared-Dove
Vinaceous Dove
Red-eyed Dove
Black-billed Wood-Dove
Blue-spotted Wood-Dove
Namaqua Dove
Bruce's Green-Pigeon
African Green-Pigeon
Black Crake
Bar-tailed Godwit
Whimbrel
Common Greenshank
Common Sandpiper
Dunlin
Greater Painted-snipe
African Jacana
Senegal Thick-knee
Eurasian Oystercatcher
Black-winged Stilt
Common Ringed Plover
Spur-winged Lapwing
Black-headed Lapwing
Wattled Lapwing
Temminck's Courser
Grey-headed Gull
Slender-billed Gull
Gull-billed Tern
Caspian Tern
Royal Tern
Common Tern
Black Tern
Osprey
Black-shouldered Kite
Black Kite
African Fish-Eagle
Palm-nut Vulture
Hooded Vulture
White-backed Vulture
Rueppell's Griffon
White-headed Vulture
Brown Snake-Eagle
African Harrier-Hawk
Lizard Buzzard
Dark Chanting-Goshawk
Shikra
Grasshopper Buzzard
Wahlberg's Eagle
African Hawk-Eagle
Long-crested Eagle
Grey Kestrel
Red-necked Falcon
Little Grebe
African Darter
Long-tailed Cormorant
Great Cormorant
Black Heron
Little Egret
Western Reef-Egret
Grey Heron
Black-headed Heron
Goliath Heron
Great White Egret
Cattle Egret
Squacco Heron
Striated Heron
Black-crowned Night-Heron
White-backed Night-Heron
Hamerkop
Glossy Ibis
African Spoonbill
White Pelican
Pink-backed Pelican
Yellow-billed Stork
Woolly-necked Stork
Yellow-billed Shrike
Piapiac
Pied Crow
African Golden-Oriole
Square-tailed Drongo
Fork-tailed Drongo
Brubru
Northern Puffback
Brown-crowned Tchagra
Common Gonolek
Grey-headed Bushshrike
White Helmetshrike
Senegal Batis
Common Wattle-eye
African Thrush
Northern Black-Flycatcher
Snowy-crowned Robin-Chat
White-crowned Robin-Chat
Purple Glossy-Starling
Bronze-tailed Glossy-Starling
Long-tailed Glossy-Starling
Yellow-billed Oxpecker
Yellow Penduline-Tit
White-winged Tit
Red-chested Swallow
Mosque Swallow
Red-rumped Swallow
Fanti Sawwing
Garden Bulbul
Little Greenbul
Yellow-throated Greenbul
Grey-headed Bristlebill
Zitting Cisticola
Tawny-flanked Prinia
Red-winged Warbler
Yellow-breasted Apalis
Green-backed Eremomela
Northern Crombec
Blackcap Babbler
Brown Babbler
Pygmy Sunbird
Scarlet-chested Sunbird
Splendid Sunbird
Beautiful Sunbird
House Sparrow
Grey-headed Sparrow
Bush Petronia
Tree Pipit
White-billed Buffalo-Weaver
Little Weaver
Black-necked Weaver
Village Weaver
Black-winged Bishop
Orange Bishop
Western Bluebill
Red-billed Firefinch
Red-cheeked Cordonbleu
Black-rumped Waxbill
Bronze Munia
Pin-tailed Whydah
Yellow-fronted Canary

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back