• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gang of Five...Wild Boar. Forest of Dean. UK. (1 Viewer)

We were on the same track. It just goes to show how poor their eyesight is. Half way through the encounter we moved off the track quietly. Even when they were very close they never saw us. It was an accidental rustle of a plastic bag which caused them to flee. At that point they were only a couple of metres away. In retrospect I think that was for the best! It wouldn't have been good to surprise them when they were at our feet...
These were a sounder of young boar. So, surprisingly small.

Cracking Phil. Very envious. I must try and get to see them one day. I was jubilant in NE Greece this spring when I thought I found a distant group of boar only for a few pink and spotty ones to suddenly come out of the wood edge to shatter my celebrations!

Wow....SO envious :smoke: I know where I'll be having a holiday one day ;)

Fabulous creatures and even more fabulous encounter :t: I was grinning away to myself and thinking 'Oh wow!!!!!'' as I watched the clip :-O

The reportage was filmed by Pam. Another PB. (I was hiding behind her...Human Shield!;):-O)
I'd laced the track behind us with cut apple and carrot. In the film, it seems the "gang" get a spurt on in response to the scent of the food. (After a bit of "play-fighting.")
We had an encounter a week or so before, at near dark. We weren't expecting such an early meeting. Mindfull that we might meet a casual observation ahead of us, on the track at twilight, coming to scattered bait. It seems we ran into a gang of "teenagers" on an early "prowl."
Ben's documentation of "heart-pounding moments" is redolent. But he was near a Sow and her young! Brave indeed, and his images and videos show great fieldcraft. :t:
Previously, in Poland, I have been nervous in Boar Situations. But they are hunted there, and Humans are not friends to them.
In the Forest of Dean, we came away with great respect for a superb Mammal, which is deserving of some helpful publicity. And truly belongs in these islands.
After all, they do their upmost to avoid us. And in encounters such as these, they would rather run, than confront.
It was our forbears that did for them, a natural part of our forest's eco-systems. It is up to us, and our children, to welcome them back.
They are, after all, long lost fauna. Lost through no fault of their own...:cat:

ps The Internet is open to all, and Wild Boar are shot for profit in England. So no exact location is given. If trusted BF members want some help in seeing Wild Boar then PM me. (Also about the birdlife of the Forest, timing, etc.)

pps http://www.britishwildboar.org.uk/

ppps This is worth buying! :t: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wild-Boar-Britain-Martin-Goulding/dp/1873580584

Attachments

• Wild Boar 19.6.11 008.jpg
    Wild Boar 19.6.11 008.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Nice video!! I'm a fanatic wildlife watcher myself and had several close encounters with Roe deer and Boar within a yard, Red Deer within 5 yards, Red Fox sniffin my shoes (which I was wearing) and my best encounter last friday. A group of Badgers (8) within 2 yards. My Badgerfriend had a youngster sniffing his boots.

The trick for me is "silent" brownish of greenish clothing and sitting absolutly still with the wind in your face.

Camouflage clothing doesn't add something for me. Wind direction is easy to test with a lighter.

It's a pity that I may not drive and have to sit with my foot high for a week or else I should sit at a Badger sett tonight. I just love to be in the woods 24/7.

Malloot,

Envious of your experiences! Hope you heal soon!

Wild Boar watching? Don't wear blue. It is the colour they see best of all...;)

Some grabs from the film...B :)

Attachments

• Boar Grab1.jpg
    Boar Grab1.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Boar Grab2.jpg
    Boar Grab2.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 67
  • Boar Grab3.jpg
    Boar Grab3.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Boar Grab4.jpg
    Boar Grab4.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 74
Cracking photos of the Boar, Phil!
I went to the Forest of Dean yesterday, spent most of the day at Nags Head RSPB reserve and Cannop Ponds - but no Wild Boar! I saw Fallow Deer and some lovely birds but still ....

I'm going to head over next weekend for another look .... (Any help on the best places to look (I don't expect exact locations of course!) would be really appreciated :))

Cracking photos of the Boar, Phil!
I went to the Forest of Dean yesterday, spent most of the day at Nags Head RSPB reserve and Cannop Ponds - but no Wild Boar! I saw Fallow Deer and some lovely birds but still ....

I'm going to head over next weekend for another look .... (Any help on the best places to look (I don't expect exact locations of course!) would be really appreciated :))

This has been done...;)

Our encounter with wild boar last year is mentioned in my friend's blog: http://blog.b92.net/text/22354/SVINJARIJA-OD-PTICARENJA/

(google translate will bring you some good laughter and confusion, as it seems to use every homophone instead of the proper translation) :king:

The fourth picture (below the wagtail) shows the place where two boar ran across the path in front of us. A couple of birders behind me, who didn't see them, asked me how big the boar were. I said "average-sized" LOL.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back