• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Geese ID SW Ireland (1 Viewer)

mshorten

Flyby geese, look to small for Greylag. White-fronted or Pink- foot perhaps. Flying into strong light so not sure if pale above bill is white or overexposed

Attachments

• DSC00879.jpeg
    DSC00879.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC00878.jpeg
    DSC00878.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC00876.jpeg
    DSC00876.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC00870.jpeg
    DSC00870.jpeg
    245.3 KB · Views: 56
Hello,

difficult pictures for me,so I decided to wait for others to comment first, but as no one has written something, my thoughts:

• first: they look like Pink-footed Geese to me:
  • small, triangular, stubby bill excludes Greylag and many/most Bean Geese, I agree with you
  • I would expect to show evident/strong barring on the belly in a White-fronted Goose. Yes, individual variation and these are only three of them ... but this came into my mind
  • I fiddled around with exposure/brightened them up and changed colour saturation. And after this, I think, the appearant pale blaze is an artefact/ due to strong light as you said (but its really tricky, and clearly a pitfall picture. No offence you know)
  • and with a huge caveat I think I can just make out the right dirty pink colour on the feet and the bill. But yes, this cant be judged with confidence.
Conclusion? Although especially the lowest bird has an appearant blaze good for a (Lesser) WF Goose, I would identify your birds as Pink footed Geese if forced.

But my bad feeling hasnt gone. So better wait for confirmation or correction. Thanks from me, too!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back