• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Laughing gull - Pacific Ocean west of Colombia (2 Viewers)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear Members and Bird Watchers!

Pacific Ocean, about 120km East of Isla Mapelo West of Colombia.

I have the usual group of boobies in front of the boat so I was surprised to see a small gull. I was also happy as I can report something more than boobies in eBird.

In my book it is a Laughing Gull, but, non-breeding say Non-breeding Adult: �diffuse gray mark on rear of white head�

My bird look to be black, but it can be the light. My bird looks to have black bill and legs so it is different from the picture in my book.

Anyone have any idea if my ID is correct from my poor pictures?

Kind Regards and Happy Birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• 423.jpg
    423.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 422.jpg
    422.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 23
Franklin's Gull indeed. You've already noticed that the "hood" on the back of the head is more extensive than non-breeding Laughing. The wings are also more rounded, and the pale crescents before the black wingtips are a good indicator of Franklin's.

Thank you very much Bismarck Honeyeater and birdmeister!

Highly appreciated!

I used the Birds of the West Indies and the Franklin�s Gullis not there. And my book Birds of Southern South America and the Franklin�s Gull do not look like anything on my pictures. But this book is very bad and this book was a waste of money.
I got this 2 books in Houston 6 weeks ago together with the Birds of Northern South America that did not have any picture in it.

So, the helpfrom birdforum is very appreciated.

Thanks again!

Kind Regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back