• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ghost orchid appeal (1 Viewer)

condor1992

Spain
Out of the orchid species I would like to see, ghost orchid takes the crown. Finding it in the UK is not possible, so I was thinking of visiting a known site in the Black Forest, Germany, to find them, provided they are still there. Would anyone be able/willing to share the location of the approximate area with me? Would not have found the Suffolk tongue orchid last summer if not for a similar question posted on Twitter, answered in my DMs.
If you are willing, do DM me
Thanks!
IMG20220622131639.jpg

Good reminder why better not to share localities of rare orchids.
I wasn't advocating for it to be posted out in the open. Especially not in the UK, which has an orchid theft problem. I was merely asking whether anyone would be willing to DM me about it, if they wanted to, considering my past good track record of finding rare orchid species (see Twitter)

"Like with the bergonii tongue orchid, and also say Essex's tongue orchids, I know the locations now, but many others do not. I have not once refused to tell a person where to find them when they asked"

Your words. This has all been debated with you several times when you posted as Gleb, etc - if the article linked above does not help you understand the problem with sharing info on such plants, then I guess you're too set in your ways.

"Like with the bergonii tongue orchid, and also say Essex's tongue orchids, I know the locations now, but many others do not. I have not once refused to tell a person where to find them when they asked"

Your words. This has all been debated with you several times when you posted as Gleb, etc - if the article linked above does not help you understand the problem with sharing info on such plants, then I guess you're too set in your ways.
The quote underlines something about the way I work. I too would not blurt out sensitive information like that on a forum. What I meant was if someone DM'ed me, privately, so I understood who I was dealing with, then I would consider it. Obviously if someone who just made an account went out of the blue and asked me about it, I would think twice. But I have not encountered that yet, and the people I alluded too had a lot of orchid photos from both Twitter and iNaturalist.
I do understand the issue. Trampling is a factor, I agree, it happened to wreck one of the Suffolk plants as well, as is orchid theft. But witholding information from absolutely everyone seems unnecessary to me. Obviously if I said I never trampled anything, no-one would believe me. Personally I think it is a matter of whether someone wants to share it privately. I was not expecting anyone to post the location right here, on the forum

This is a closing summary.
Thanks, but I've found out exactly where the site is uwu
Still maybe an entire year or even two before I visit

Here some information, translate it with deepl.com or similar

I found only one place at lake Eibsee in front of Zugspitze.

Here some information, translate it with deepl.com or similar

I found only one place at lake Eibsee in front of Zugspitze.
Much appreciated!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back