• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gitzo GHF2W counter balance knob (1 Viewer)

DWStone

Scotland
Hi, I was looking for some input from any owners of the Gitzo GHF2W head. I purchased this today and have noticed that the counter balance knob seems rather loose, especially in the 'on' position (please see attached video). I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and if this is normal, or whether this may be defective and I should return for an exchange. Very tight fit getting the handle bar into position also!

Any input from owners of this head would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David

Attachments

• VID_20230106_184351.mp4
    17.9 MB
David,
I can't help here I'm afraid as the only GHF2W I have seen was at its introduction at Photokina in 2018. I posted here: New Gitzo 2-way Head
Can you confirm my suspicion that the counterbalance can be set to achieve horizontal static balance of a front or tail heavy scope? With other heads one has to resort to lots of tilt friction or long quick-release plates.

John

David,
I can't help here I'm afraid as the only GHF2W I have seen was at its introduction at Photokina in 2018. I posted here: New Gitzo 2-way Head
Can you confirm my suspicion that the counterbalance can be set to achieve horizontal static balance of a front or tail heavy scope? With other heads one has to resort to lots of tilt friction or long quick-release plates.

John
Thanks John,

Yes, the counter balance can just about achieve horizontal static balance of an ATX 85 without the need of a long plate when the balance is set to the +1 notch. However, I'm adding just the slightest bit of tension on the tilt control knob for added safety.

Hopefully someone with experience of this head might be able to answer the issue with the counter balance knob. It doesn't affect functioning of the unit at all, and the fact that it seems loose may just be the nature of the mechanism, but it just seems odd given how robust everything else is on the unit.

D

Rather than starting a new thread, can I ask (Bill, if you're watching, please) if it is possible to fully lock the GHF2W?

The ability to lock the tilt is my main concern. Before I decide whether or not to buy one, I want to be sure that my scope won't 'flop' when carried horizontally, or over my shoulder. I've seen comments both ways - that it can and cannot be locked tight. (I just bought a Swarovski ATS 65 HD.)

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back