• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glasgow scotland, bird identification (1 Viewer)

sarahb6

United Kingdom
Hi everyone!

Looking for some clues about this bird, background is he was found near a rookery soaked to the skin, feathers all tattered and torn. I have chickens so was asked if I could help him ( back in may) he instantly took to the chickens and the chickens to him, he hasn’t left after all of this time and remains in my garden most of the day although does fly around the trees and fields behind the house.

From observing the corvids around he resembles a jackdaw however is considerably smaller than the jackdaws we have visiting the garden, he has a longer beak than the jackdaws also which lead me to believe possibly a tiny crow?!

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 3C276961-0058-4D6D-8A86-10787CAE6A1D.jpeg
    3C276961-0058-4D6D-8A86-10787CAE6A1D.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 132
  • 01FD0F15-1086-4472-948D-06DAF18D1071.jpeg
    01FD0F15-1086-4472-948D-06DAF18D1071.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 129
  • 3A0C71DD-2F12-4936-B1D8-60D8AA9F9D07.jpeg
    3A0C71DD-2F12-4936-B1D8-60D8AA9F9D07.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 128
Looks like a carrion crow with a few white feathers (which is pretty common). Difficult to comment on the size, as I'm not used to seeing them alongside cats for comparison - but carrion crows only come in one size. Head/neck colour, iris colour and bill size/shape are wrong for jackdaw.

Looks like a carrion crow with a few white feathers (which is pretty common). Difficult to comment on the size, as I'm not used to seeing them alongside cats for comparison - but carrion crows only come in one size. Head/neck colour, iris colour and bill size/shape are wrong for jackdaw.
Thanks so much for the quick response!

Jackdaw was the only bird size wise he meets but is smaller than even them, strange little guy fabulous colouring on him, I assume it’s a boy as he does a dance with his wings spread and tail feathers shaking for my big black hen, I assume he is courting her!

As I suggested, I'm not actually convinced that this carrion crow is any smaller than any other carrion crow. Visual size-comparisons are strange things, for many (and sometimes inexplicable) reasons. If it's decently tame, you might try running a tape-measure along it: from bill-tip to tail-tip (if it was laid flat on its back, which obviously you won't be doing) it should be 44-51 cm.

As I suggested, I'm not actually convinced that this carrion crow is any smaller than any other carrion crow. Visual size-comparisons are strange things, for many (and sometimes inexplicable) reasons. If it's decently tame, you might try running a tape-measure along it: from bill-tip to tail-tip (if it was laid flat on its back, which obviously you won't be doing) it should be 44-51 cm.

thanks for that! - tame enough to sit on my shoulder when im in feeding and cleaning the chickens but havent tried to hold him as figured he would go on his own accord but seems happy enough with the chickens as his people ill give it a go tomorrow :)

Hi Sarah and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

All things Scottish can be found here. Keep an eye on threads titled Scottish Bashes, we usually have one or two meetings each year and they're all great fun.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Although it is hard to see the bill shape well, the apparent glossy 'blue' colour, the tail shape from above (and perhaps also the position of the eye relative to the base of the bill) and location where the bird was found suggest that the bird might actually be a young Rook, rather than a Carrion Crow. However, the 'colour' could be as a result of the camera.

This does look a bit ambiguous between a young Rook and a Carrion Crow - however, both those species are pretty much the same size, and should be noticeably larger than Jackdaws! (though it's unclear whether you have actually seen Jackdaws and "your" bird right next to each other...) I wonder if it is possible for an individual to be abnormally small due to illness, malnutrition or even a mutation (like some sort of dwarfism)? The white in the wings could indicate malnutrition.

It does look small by comparison with the cat - though obviously cats vary in size and this could be a big one! However this photo does provide an easy way to measure the bird's size even if you can't catch and measure the bird itself - the size of the paving bricks. How long/wide are they?

Although it is hard to see the bill shape well, the apparent glossy 'blue' colour, the tail shape from above (and perhaps also the position of the eye relative to the base of the bill) and location where the bird was found suggest that the bird might actually be a young Rook, rather than a Carrion Crow. However, the 'colour' could be as a result of the camera.

He does have trousers as they say like rooks the colours on him are fantastic green and blue sheen here he is sunbathing with one of the chickens

Attachments

• CF31AB54-9945-4283-BF7C-65864C842C0B.jpeg
    CF31AB54-9945-4283-BF7C-65864C842C0B.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 35
DSC_3160_211113-1021-EDIT.JPGIf he is a Rook (and I think he most likely is) then it can't be too far away when his bill starts to change to look more like an adult bird's bill. This is a recent photo showing the transition beginning to happen. There is possibly a very faint trace of the 'white' starting to show on your 3rd pic on the lower part of the bill near the base.. Within a few weeks, I suspect you'll know whether or not he is a Rook.

EDIT: Another thought - Rooks appear (to me at least), to have a wider variety of sounds they make than Carrion Crows seem to.

This does look a bit ambiguous between a young Rook and a Carrion Crow - however, both those species are pretty much the same size, and should be noticeably larger than Jackdaws! (though it's unclear whether you have actually seen Jackdaws and "your" bird right next to each other...) I wonder if it is possible for an individual to be abnormally small due to illness, malnutrition or even a mutation (like some sort of dwarfism)? The white in the wings could indicate malnutrition.

It does look small by comparison with the cat - though obviously cats vary in size and this could be a big one! However this photo does provide an easy way to measure the bird's size even if you can't catch and measure the bird itself - the size of the paving bricks. How long/wide are they?
I haven’t seen them side by side but when in the garden at the bird feeders the jackdaws look to be bigger than he is, not by a huge amount but it does appear they are larger,

I thought possibly abandoned from the nest due to illness/weakness his feathers are tatty and frayed. The Slabs are just under 18 inch x 18 inch’s

The cats just an avarage size 🙂

View attachment 1416724If he is a Rook (and I think he most likely is) then it can't be too far away when his bill starts to change to look more like an adult bird's bill. This is a recent photo showing the transition beginning to happen. There is possibly a very faint trace of the 'white' starting to show on your 3rd pic on the lower part of the bill near the base.. Within a few weeks, I suspect you'll know whether or not he is a Rook.

EDIT: Another thought - Rooks appear (to me at least), to have a wider variety of sounds they make than Carrion Crows see
View attachment 1416724If he is a Rook (and I think he most likely is) then it can't be too far away when his bill starts to change to look more like an adult bird's bill. This is a recent photo showing the transition beginning to happen. There is possibly a very faint trace of the 'white' starting to show on your 3rd pic on the lower part of the bill near the base.. Within a few weeks, I suspect you'll know whether or not he is a Rook.

EDIT: Another thought - Rooks appear (to me at least), to have a wider variety of sounds they make than Carrion Crows seem to.
Are rooks known to be able to mimic sounds? I have a video of him mimicking the chickens warning calls - I have attached hopefully it works!

Attachments

• IMG_5729.MOV
    14.4 MB
18-19" is about the expected bill-to-tail length of a normal Rook (or Carrion Crow). Looking at your photo and allowing for the bird's head being at a slight angle to its body, your bird is about the same overall length as one side of the square slabs - so maybe slightly on the small side, but not by a lot.

Jackdaws are notably smaller than that, around 13-14". Here is a Rook among Jackdaws: Corvid ID - Dublin

I think all the corvids (Crows, Rooks, Magpies, Jays, Ravens etc) are capable of mimicry, and can be very good at it (as yours appears to be). Have heard Jays mimicking Buzzard calls and a Magpie barking like a small dog. Not sure that either of Carrion Crow or Rook is likelier to indulge in mimickry than the other.

18-19" is about the expected bill-to-tail length of a normal Rook (or Carrion Crow). Looking at your photo and allowing for the bird's head being at a slight angle to its body, your bird is about the same overall length as one side of the square slabs - so maybe slightly on the small side, but not by a lot.

Jackdaws are notably smaller than that, around 13-14". Here is a Rook among Jackdaws: Corvid ID - Dublin
Thank you so much - I’m so glad I joined everyone is so helpful 🙂

I think all the corvids (Crows, Rooks, Magpies, Jays, Ravens etc) are capable of mimicry, and can be very good at it (as yours appears to be). Have heard Jays mimicking Buzzard calls and a Magpie barking like a small dog. Not sure that either of Carrion Crow or Rook is likelier to indulge in mimickry than the other.
First time I heard it I thought i was hearing things! Had to hide in the garage to record it and assure myself I wasn’t going crazy!

Hi Sarah, your second picture does look very much like an imm. Rook to me, with the purple sheen and it seems to be starting to get the bare patch round the bill.
If so, it won't be long before you find out for sure!

Hi Sarah, your second picture does look very much like an imm. Rook to me, with the purple sheen and it seems to be starting to get the bare patch round the bill.
If so, it won't be long before you find out for sure!
hes been with us since the start of may and i think possibly up to 4 weeks old at that point so possibly around 7 months old by now, its been quite amazing to watch him grow and bond with chickens, nature really is amazing :)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back