• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Global Birdfair 15th,16th & 17th July 2022 (1 Viewer)

You can't keep a good man down for long.
The previous birdfair thought they could operate without Tim's drive and inspiration but look what happened.
The new version will surely be a great success.
I notice carbon offsetting and a desire to be as carbon neutral as possible prominent in the introductory material.

With a name like Global Birdfair I don’t have a lot of confidence in the addressing the enormous Carbon elephant in the marquee
There is no enormous carbon elephant associated with global birding. Possibly a small carbon vole.

There is a significant opportunity for global birding to influence the incomes of people in parts of S.Am, Asia and Africa in a way that helps save some habitat that would otherwise become firewood and cow paddocks.

A bit confused by this.

I though that someone withdrew the facility of Rutland Water from the original 'Birdfair' so how has Tim pulled this off?

A bit confused by this.

I though that someone withdrew the facility of Rutland Water from the original 'Birdfair' so how has Tim pulled this off?
Location was withdrawn.

Tim had all the knowledge to set up his own similar even once the wildlife trust pulled the pin, just needed a new location which he appears to have sorted out nearby in Oakham.

I'm sure there is a lot more to it than that!

A bit confused by this.

Not sure how you can disagree that an event with a large CO2 footprint funded on the whole by vendors selling high carbon travel while promoting a green agenda doesn’t have some issues it needs to resolve in order to present itself with integrity

Not sure how you can disagree that an event with a large CO2 footprint funded on the whole by vendors selling high carbon travel while promoting a green agenda doesn’t have some issues it needs to resolve in order to present itself with integrity
Can you illustrate where I 'disagree' with anything, I believe I posed a question?

Last edited:
Location was withdrawn.

Tim had all the knowledge to set up his own similar even once the wildlife trust pulled the pin, just needed a new location which he appears to have sorted out nearby in Oakham.

I'm sure there is a lot more to it than that!
The OP has confused me then with this line 'Tim Appleton has announced Global Birdfair will take place at Rutland Water'

Tourism contributed 8% to global carbon emissions.

Global ecotourism contributes [taps on calculator] the square root of a gnats fart to the 8%. World birding [taps on calculator] less than one tenth the square root of a gnats fart.

Have you been to South America or Asia? Have you seen what happens outside the fence of the reserves and ecolodges?
Have you seen the difference they make?
What do you think will happen if the income of these places drops off a cliff because of some hand wringing from somewhere that is already pretty much scorched earth (i.e. most of Europe!)?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back