• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden Nightjar (3 Viewers)

1) Go to Login required - BirdForum Opus.
2) Put the equivalent of View source for File:White-tailed Starfrontlet (female) by njlarsen.jpg - BirdForum Opus (for example) in the summary field, and change the destination filename to a descriptive one. There isn't one rule for doing this: every editor does it in a slightly different way.
3) Copy the template from View source for Blakiston's Fish Owl - BirdForum Opus (for example) and adjust the details.
4) Remove '[[Category:Missing images]]'.

When in doubt, consult Help:Adding a photo to a bird entry - BirdForum Opus. Also, feel free to ask.

Thanks for the contribution and heads-up; I think none of the editors noticed it was a new picture for Opus.

I think none of the editors noticed it was a new picture for Opus.
LOL Karol.... well you did and actually I had, but then my home help came and I got distracted.

I created a page
I'm not too sure what you mean by "creating a page" Aliks?

This is the link for the Golden Nightjar Opus page: Golden Nightjar - BirdForum Opus

Open the page fully by clicking on the main Edit tab at the top of the page. Please let me know if you can't see this, as a few people (we've never understood why) haven't had this facility added automatically.

Please do enter some text about what you did in the Edit Summary, which you'll see when you go to save the Edit. Nothing complicated just :

First image added, Missing Images category deleted

Would be all that's needed.

LOL Karol.... well you did and actually I had, but then my home help came and I got distracted.

I'm not too sure what you mean by "creating a page" Aliks?

This is the link for the Golden Nightjar Opus page: Golden Nightjar - BirdForum Opus

Open the page fully by clicking on the main Edit tab at the top of the page. Please let me know if you can't see this, as a few people (we've never understood why) haven't had this facility added automatically.

Please do enter some text about what you did in the Edit Summary, which you'll see when you go to save the Edit. Nothing complicated just :

First image added, Missing Images category deleted

Would be all that's needed.
I thought I created the Opus page you linked to - my mistake. I don't see the Edit tab at the top of theat page - just the tabs View, View Source and History.
Entering the view source tab I see the text:

"You do not have permission to edit this page, for the following reason:

The action you have requested is limited to users in the group: Users."

Although that may just mean you dont want ordinary folk tampering with history.

If you can find a way to get me the edit tab, I can add my gallery photo, otherwise let me know if you need any more details to put in there.

Hi Aliks

So sorry that you're one of the affected members. No, the only people we don't like to be able to edit are those classed as "New Members", until we're sure they are genuine, but this is only short term (5 days). It shouldn't apply to you, so I'll flag it up to Admin and hope your ability to edit will be added soon.

As I said, only a few members seem to be affected and we can't understand why this has happened. It all started with the move to this new platform, even I was affected LOL

I'll keep an eye out for you. May I thank you for finding this rare bird and putting the picture in the Gallery. Still don't know how you saw it LOL.

Hopefully I can get editting sorted out as I have a few more missing birds to add:
Freckled Nightjar from Namibia
Golden Greenbul from Ghana
Gray-breasted Woodpecker fom Oaxaca (only a poor shot though)
Johanna's Sunbird from Ghana
River Prinia from Senegal

Hi Aliks

So sorry that you're one of the affected members. No, the only people we don't like to be able to edit are those classed as "New Members", until we're sure they are genuine, but this is only short term (5 days). It shouldn't apply to you, so I'll flag it up to Admin and hope your ability to edit will be added soon.

As I said, only a few members seem to be affected and we can't understand why this has happened. It all started with the move to this new platform, even I was affected LOL

I'll keep an eye out for you. May I thank you for finding this rare bird and putting the picture in the Gallery. Still don't know how you saw it LOL.
Re the Golden Nightjar, our guide in Senegal, Abdou Lo, knows the rough location they roost near Podor on the Senegal RIver. We saw them flying just after nightfall, but couldnt get a decent photo. The next day we carefully cast about under bushes in the same general area, and after an hour found a couple roosting.

Not easy to get a perfect photo as twigs and leaves obscured them a bit, and we didnt want to disturb them by getting too close.

Hopefully I can get editting sorted out as I have a few more missing birds to add:
Freckled Nightjar from Namibia
Golden Greenbul from Ghana
Gray-breasted Woodpecker fom Oaxaca (only a poor shot though)
Johanna's Sunbird from Ghana
River Prinia from Senegal
Hi Aliks... I hope so too; it's really annoying for us Editors when this happens to members who want to help out with this project. I don't understand why I couldn't edit Opus but Karol could ... life isn't fair LOL

Re the Golden Nightjar, our guide in Senegal, Abdou Lo, knows the rough location they roost near Podor on the Senegal RIver. We saw them flying just after nightfall, but couldnt get a decent photo. The next day we carefully cast about under bushes in the same general area, and after an hour found a couple roosting.

Not easy to get a perfect photo as twigs and leaves obscured them a bit, and we didnt want to disturb them by getting too close.
Gosh! That was a lot of work finding them. I'm glad you didn't disturb them to get the picture, we wouldn't really like to include pictures where disturbance of any sort had happened.

The pictures you took the night before, did any of them show any identification markings, like white spots under the wing for instance? As they could still be useful to include (at least until a clearer image comes in 🦅 }

Aliks you should be able to edit now, the Big Boss, has worked on it himself!!

In fact, you've actually be upgraded to an Editor! Some of the changes may take a while to show, as it can take the system a while to catch up. Let me know what you can see just now.

I think Andy Adcock asked about how to get to the location, too:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back