• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good Boots (2 Viewers)

Rufus1401

Wales
I’m after a good pair of tough waterproof leather boots. I have seen a decent looking set of Buckler rigger boots, but am open to suggestions. Have about £100-£130 or so to spend. UK based.

I’m after a good pair of tough waterproof leather boots. I have seen a decent looking set of Buckler rigger boots, but am open to suggestions. Have about £100-£130 or so to spend. UK based.
American here. Forget the outdoorsy stores. Go to a place that sells working-man's shoes and clothing for carpenters, masons, and other roustabouts. Get yourself some shin high boots, gel inserts, and WOOL socks. They won't be as comfy as pricey hiking boots, but they will hold up better than their lightweight cousins, and be protect your ankles in the bargain. -- That said, I do have a pair of weenie hiking boots made by a company called Whites. They are manufactured in ?Romania?, and outperform Chinese boots hands-down. I was shredding Keen boots about every nine months

Look into Laowa hiking/outdoor/mountaineering boots. They're light, breathable, waterproof, have excellent grip and protect your ankles.

The vital thing with footwear is fit, spending the day tromping around in something uncomfortable isn't worth it. Get yourself to a shop that actually sells such boots and try some on.

The only truly waterproof boots are wellies!

A little over your budget, but, since you're in UK, thought I would mention Altberg. Fantastic full-leather boots, been rocking some Fremingtons for the last 2 years - super comfortable and durable - these cost a little more than Asia-made boots but they will last 5 times longer - I had to pay extra shipping to get them over to the USA but you won't have to:

Traditional outdoor/hunting boots work. The problem with 'outdoor shops' is that footwear is becoming disposable and running-shoe derived. I recently wanted to replace a pair of Lowa leather hiking boots and had to order them from online shop - the local outdoor shops looked at me and said 'is that a brand of shoes?'. Yes, Lowa is like Scarpa or Garmont ;-)

Hunters, particularly western hunters (in US) still demand burly footwear.
Schnee's this outfit has great boots, I'm sure you can find something along the same lines in EU?

Find somewhere you can try them on - fit is the most important thing to get right if you're walking miles, and try different sizes. My feet are like frog's flippers (narrow heels and wide fronts) and it took me a long time to find what worked.

Find somewhere you can try them on - fit is the most important thing to get right if you're walking miles, and try different sizes.
it makes me smile and think of another thread where we recommended that someone wanting to try binoculars approach a bird club.... 😋

Request.jpg

I worked offshore on ships and oil/gas rigs where steel toe-capped rigger boots like the ones you are looking at were mandatory, but IMO they are too uncomfortable for walking any distance. I certainly wouldn't consider hill walking in them. How much walking are you planning on doing and in what terrain ?

I have a pair of tough waterproof (Scarpa) leather "walking" boots and I got fed up with the regular cleaning routine needed to keep them waterproof. I now use a pair of waterproof non-leather boots that were 1/3 the price, are much lighter, and need zero maintenance. Do you really need leather boots ?

As for trying them on, an online "outdoor" shop, with free-returns is the way to go. Buy a couple of sizes and try them on at home. It saves travel time, traffic and parking hassle, and then finding they are OOS in your size. You can also walk around the house for a few hours and go up and down the stairs in them to try them out.

Traditional outdoor/hunting boots work. The problem with 'outdoor shops' is that footwear is becoming disposable and running-shoe derived. I recently wanted to replace a pair of Lowa leather hiking boots and had to order them from online shop - the local outdoor shops looked at me and said 'is that a brand of shoes?'. Yes, Lowa is like Scarpa or Garmont ;-)

Hunters, particularly western hunters (in US) still demand burly footwear.
Schnee's this outfit has great boots, I'm sure you can find something along the same lines in EU?
I think thats right.
I seem to buy decent brands like berghaus, but cheap, discounted, sales etc and run them into the ground until they are relegated to gardening digging boots, then bin.
Life expectancy for walking/birding in is about 2-3 years i'd guess

Users who are viewing this thread

Back