• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goose ID -- Gilbert, Arizona (1 Viewer)

LFM

United States
This goose was seen recently (9/24/2023) in Gilbert, Arizona. Hoping someone will know what type it is by these pics. It was associating mostly with Canada Geese but there was also a Greater White-fronted Goose with them. The third pic is a tight crop that shows a portion of a leg and the leg color appears to be the same as the bill color. Many thanks!DSC03857-WhiteGoose-46.jpgDSC03930-WhiteGoose-46.jpgDSC03933-WhiteGoose46.jpg

I think this is a Canada x domestic (Greylag) goose hybrid rather than just a domestic goose - look at the long, slender neck and bill more like Canada than Greylag in structure. I've seen similar hybrids (always with Canadas) in city parks in the UK several times. The colour is typical of this hybrid when a white domestic goose is the non-Canada parent.

Hello,

far from a confident ID, and yes, a predominantly white Goose is often a 'domestic goose', at least in Europe, but I looked at the pictures again and again, and the head and especially bill shape reminds me of a Greater White fronted Goose, and this seems a better fit than the (often) chunky triangular billed Greylag.

I wondered about the brownish wash to the greater coverts and a hybrid with a Canada Goose came into my mind. It isnt a pure Canada Goose imo, because of the faint yellow eye-ring (a feature of Greylags, hybrids and very few WFG)

And yes, the rump seems slightly fat, but is this exaggerated by posture(hey Alex, in all three pictures?)? But yes, it really has a plumb=domestic goose like rear end

So I agree it's a Canada x Greylag hybrid for me too

I think this is a Canada x domestic (Greylag) goose hybrid rather than just a domestic goose - look at the long, slender neck and bill more like Canada than Greylag in structure. I've seen similar hybrids (always with Canadas) in city parks in the UK several times. The colour is typical of this hybrid when a white domestic goose is the non-Canada parent.
Agree , canada x white domestic greylag goose

Thanks for your help!

Hello,

far from a confident ID, and yes, a predominantly white Goose is often a 'domestic goose', at least in Europe, but I looked at the pictures again and again, and the head and especially bill shape reminds me of a Greater White fronted Goose, and this seems a better fit than the (often) chunky triangular billed Greylag.

I wondered about the brownish wash to the greater coverts and a hybrid with a Canada Goose came into my mind. It isnt a pure Canada Goose imo, because of the faint yellow eye-ring (a feature of Greylags, hybrids and very few WFG)

And yes, the rump seems slightly fat, but is this exaggerated by posture(hey Alex, in all three pictures?)? But yes, it really has a plumb=domestic goose like rear end

So I agree it's a Canada x Greylag hybrid for me too
Thanks so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back