• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goshawk display (1 Viewer)

trappeddownsouth

i believe that about now is a good time to check out displaying pairs, i was going to go over to Bowland, but wanted to check if others had seen any activity around the rest of the country?

I saw a pair in the New Forest last Sunday. They were also reported 4 days previous to that.

Saw them display 2 weeks ago at new Fancy View, Forest of Dean (Gloucs). Not as many birds as usual tho.

Difficult to gauge whether display as been put back a bit by the extended cold winter.

we watched 3 displaying last week at a well known place nearish to here, one bloke had been there every day that week and had seen them every day

Normally I would agree wholeheartedly, but New Fancy View was set up specifically for Goshawk watching by the RSPB and Forestry Commission. It is very widely publicised. A brilliant site it is too.

Pete

Fair enough, I was more concerned that people might publicise the Bowland sites in particular.

thanks people sounds encouraging, ive got a a good feeling as long as the weather is fine.... im all for securing site security but i has to be said if a joe bloggs birder knows a few sites then eggers will know the tree if they wanted..

"if a joe bloggs birder knows a few sites then eggers will know the tree if they wanted"

True, but no need to help them.

Publicising a 'honey-pot' site like New Fancy View seems to be a good thing though - takes pressure off other sites, and hopefully the nest sites in that area are monitored for unwanted attention.

"if a joe bloggs birder knows a few sites then eggers will know the tree if they wanted"

True, but no need to help them.

Publicising a 'honey-pot' site like New Fancy View seems to be a good thing though - takes pressure off other sites, and hopefully the nest sites in that area are monitored for unwanted attention.

I am sure they are though i think you would be very hard pressed to work out where their nests are anyway as you only see them from new fancy about a mile away over 500,000 tightly-packed trees.:t:

Does anyone know what time of day and weather conditions are best for seeing display flights - is warm and sunny best?
I see Goshawks displaying and flying when its a nice fine sunny day with a bit of breeze .And i find mid morning to mid afternoon is the best time to see them.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back