• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GPO PASSION HD 8x42 Video Review (1 Viewer)

binomania

What a great review of a great pair of binoculars! Thank you.

I have the Geco Gold version of these, bought during the run-out of the Geco brand here in the UK and am truly astounded at just how good they are. Alpha binoculars for much less than Alpha prices and in my case, at less than €400, an unbelivable purchase. They are superb binoculars and I echo your conclusions exactly.

The only trouble is that once I received these binoculars I saw others at the reduced prices so now have several Geco's (and 2 GPO's, the 8 and 10 x 42's). They are all superbly made, have smooth and direct focus wheels which I understand have caused concern in the past for some, and optically are fantastic.

I recently added the Geco 8 x 56 with the Abbe-Koenig prisms and whilst heavy, these have been a revelation for me in the evenings as the light capture is surreal as is the 3D effect.

I sound like a bit of a Geco/GPO fanboy but I am delighted with my fleet of bino's and suppress a quiet chuckle at the cost/optical quality whenever I use them.

No they are not in the same ballpark as my SW EL 8.5 x 42's but they are not a million miles behind either.

Again thank you for such a comprehensive and clear review.

Grazie mille e vai sul sicuro!

What a great review of a great pair of binoculars! Thank you.

I have the Geco Gold version of these, bought during the run-out of the Geco brand here in the UK and am truly astounded at just how good they are. Alpha binoculars for much less than Alpha prices and in my case, at less than €400, an unbelivable purchase. They are superb binoculars and I echo your conclusions exactly.

The only trouble is that once I received these binoculars I saw others at the reduced prices so now have several Geco's (and 2 GPO's, the 8 and 10 x 42's). They are all superbly made, have smooth and direct focus wheels which I understand have caused concern in the past for some, and optically are fantastic.

I recently added the Geco 8 x 56 with the Abbe-Koenig prisms and whilst heavy, these have been a revelation for me in the evenings as the light capture is surreal as is the 3D effect.

I sound like a bit of a Geco/GPO fanboy but I am delighted with my fleet of bino's and suppress a quiet chuckle at the cost/optical quality whenever I use them.

No they are not in the same ballpark as my SW EL 8.5 x 42's but they are not a million miles behind either.

Again thank you for such a comprehensive and clear review.

Grazie mille e vai sul sicuro!
Dear Pat, thank you very much for your opinion and experience with similar binoculars. This weekend I organize an event with some readers of my website and we will have fun doing a lot of comparisons. I have the possibility to bring the GPOs too before returning them to the company. I'll do a weekend report!

Thanks for the review Piergiovanni !
I tested the GPO Passion HD vs Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 and, I can't forget the incredible weight (850g !), the small field of view and the lack of field flattener. For a 1000€ binocular it's not normal.
The oculars are not confortable (not adapted at my face) and they are inconfortable in hand (the strap loop is not well located).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back