• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grackle killing and eating sparrows (1 Viewer)

Hi, I am wondering if anyone has advice for me.

We recently started feeding the birds in our back yard, with a number of tube feeders from Wild Birds Unlimited. They seemed to be working well, a little too well in fact... now we are overrun with grackles, starlings, pigeons and sparrows. To cut a long story short, I noticed today that one or more of the grackles is actively attacking sparrows, killing them and proceeding to eat them. This happened three times so far today. I had earlier found a dead sparrow in the yard, but I put it down to nature at work.

Now to be clear, I know all about the arguments for letting nature run its course, but I truthfully just feel bad about this. I don't particularly have anything against any of these birds on an individual level, but right now the grackles are just ruining it for everybody else. They are so hyper-aggressive... I was able to live with that, but now they have actually started killing my other "customers", and my wife is quite distraught about it. I don't know if it makes any sense, but we wouldn't have such a problem if it was a hawk of some kind coming occasionally and grabbing a bird. It's just that this is the last straw - these grackles already totally dominated my yard, and now they're killing too. They aren't even supposed to do that, I called the store and she told me she had been doing this for 30 years and never heard of a grackle killing a sparrow. Now I've seen it three times in one day, so obviously someone figured it out and others are maybe copying.

At any rate... I don't feel good any more about this entire situation. I don't really want lectures on nature, please, this is just a simple request for help in fixing what is quite a distressing situation. Does anyone who feeds birds want to see this kind of thing on a regular basis? That's not what we signed up for.

We got a couple of the cages that go around the tube feeders (again from WBU) and it was actually from inside one of these that the grackle grabbed the sparrow, dragged it out, carried it down to the ground, and proceeded to peck it to death.

I tried taking the cages away, thinking that perhaps this was just the grackle taking out its frustration and rage at not being able to get to the food, but very soon after I took the cages away, I observed a grackle (same one? no idea) doing it again, grabbing a sparrow sitting on top of the pole and going for its head. I banged on the window, which broke it up, and the sparrow got away.

Any ideas? Feeding the birds wasn't supposed to be like this...

Thanks,

/Neil

p.s. I also have a "Squirrel Buster" feeder that we just got today. The grackles solved that one quickly... if I adjust the spring tension so that cardinals can use it, then this is apparently enough for the grackle to be able to insert its beak into the crack and lever it up so it can get into the food. So it just keeps doing that.

p.p.s. We are feeding millet and no-mess blend in the two main tube feeders, and safflower/sunflower in the Squirrel Buster, along with a couple of open trays, one with striped sunflower and the other with safflower only. The grackles seem to like whatever we put out, safflower included, whatever, they eat it. And they have no problem hanging onto the perches on the tube feeders.

Last edited:
Bird feeders full of fattening seeds are guarantee to bring in the junk species above all else. It's like throwing out slop for the hogs. The best thing to attract nice birds would be to toss out the bird feeders and plant and landscape your yard with plants and trees that attract the good birds naturally. That can a lot of work and pretty hard in some areas, though.

How big are the cages that you put around the feeders? If the cage is too small the grackles could just reach in but maybe if they can't get close enough to grab one.. You can get cages for ground feeders too from a lot of places.

I'm no expert though, we don't even have them in the UK (which is probably a good thing)

Good luck

Wow! Never witnessed Grackles being that violent. I have seen them be very aggressive but never to the extreme that you have witnessed. That sounds very disturbing. Sorry you had to witness that, especially with such good intentions. Have you tried a different type of feeder? My Brother has three hoppers with roofs on them. The birds tend to face each other more with this set-up. I'm wondering if you current setup with the tube feeder creates too many blind spots for the sparrows. Letting the Grackles sneak up from behind. The cage maybe giving the Grackles a perfect perch for pecking at them. I have no idea if this is answer but it might be worth a try. My brother has made all his hoppers himself. It seems pretty simple. Here is a photo to go off of. Good luck with this issue. :flyaway:

Attachments

• Hopper.jpg
    Hopper.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 654
We went to PetSmart this evening and purchased a 48" dog crate, which happens to have wire mesh that is about 3.5 cm apart, exactly the same as the tube feeder cages from WBU. So that should be just wide enough for sparrow-type birds, but hopefully not wide enough for grackles. I put it up around the pole feeder we already had, resting on the ground, then hung two of the tube feeders inside the cage, away from the walls. So any birds on the feeders at least should be out of reach of the grackles on the outside. Yet to be determined: a) Whether grackles can figure out a way in, b) whether the squirrel will find a way to destroy it, and c) whether grackles will continue to target sparrows hanging around the periphery of the setup. I'll post a picture of the thing as soon as I can, if it works...

We also moved the open trays (with striped sunflower and safflower) further away from the cage, hopefully to take some pressure off that small area. We also hung the Squirrel Buster, thistle seed feeder and a cage sunflower seed feeder on the three hooks on the main pole.

To placate the squirrels, who have now lost the two trays that were previously accessible to them, I'll go get one of those squirrel feeders with the lid that opens (I think Wal-Mart has them, but haven't found them anywhere else unfortunately). Thus, with a lid, this should keep the squirrel happy without having the birds steal it all before the tree rats get their chance...

Boy, I never thought bird feeding would feel like planning a military campaign... complete with casualties. Sigh.

Last edited:
Boy, I never thought bird feeding would feel like planning a military campaign... complete with casualties. Sigh.[/QUOTE]

LOL! Good for you though. You are doing a good thing. Im sure it's a fun project too. Best of luck..! ;) :gn:

I was overrun by grackles who were getting increasingly violent towards the other birds. Luckily, I never saw one kill another bird! But it may have come down to that because they were getting more territorial about "their" feeders, and more hostile to any invaders.

neilgunton said:
Boy, I never thought bird feeding would feel like planning a military campaign... complete with casualties. Sigh.

LOL I got a good laugh about that one, because you are absolutely right! I went through similar maneuvers to get rid of the grackles.

Good luck with your new set up!

Last edited:
Here's a couple of pics of the new setup, with the dog crate. The wires are about 3.5 cm apart, which is just right for letting sparrow-sized-objects through but won't permit access to grackle-sized-objects. Cowbirds and smaller grackles can get in, but they don't seem to cause a problem, maybe they are younger or whatever but I've been watching for a while and for whatever reason, the smaller grackle-like birds that can get in seem remarkably non-aggressive.

Currently I am thinking that a combined approach seems to work:

1. Protected sparrow area, a la dog cage with appropriate spacing for bars.
2. Separating feeders to different parts of the yard; not so much frenzy in one place.
3. Sacrificial feed (cracked corn, safflower and sunflower bought in bulk) on the ground in other parts of the yard to distract the grackles, pigeons and starlings.

This takes pressure off the sparrow area, which formerly had everything in close proximity (I have a pole with three hooks on the top, plus another three that could be hung off the body of the pole - too much in a small area, I think). I now have just the two feeders in the dog crate for the sparrows (with millet and no-mess), hanging from the detachable hangers on the pole itself rather than from the roof of the cage (which isn't strong). The Squirrel Buster hangs by itself above all this, with safflower/black sunflower. One grackle at a time can use this, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. The cardinals like it early morning and late evening.

Then in other parts of the yard, we have the thistle feeder hanging on the tree, about ten feet away from the pole; a cage sunflower feeder on tree; three squirrel feeders on the tree (one with two corn spikes and two containers with the lid they push up to get in - this protects it from the birds, who otherwise always get to the nuts before the squirrels can). In these squirrel feeders I am thinking that the whole peanuts in the shell are good, since they seem to be a favorite (preferred to corn, it seems) and it's easier for them to reach in and grab'n'go.

There are three bird baths scattered around the yard, which are refilled at regular intervals because so many birds (particularly grackles and starlings) seem to love bathing and emptying them out. That's fun to watch.

The two hanging trays have been moved out from next to the tree to farther out, hanging from long string on a branch. The larger tray has striped sunflower, which the blue jay, pigeons and grackles seem to like, and the smaller tray has safflower, which the mourning doves seem to love, and of course the cardinals.

Finally, I sprinkle liberal quantities of cracked corn on the ground in an area far away from the sparrows, which keeps the grackles and pigeons busy far after there's none left (they seem happy rooting around). Safflower also seems to work well here.

The one mistake I made was that we got a bag of Purina Pigeon Checkers, which looked good in the store, but it turns out nobody will touch it at all - not even the pigeons (I know, rock doves really). Strange though, I thought at least they would eat just about anything, or the starlings. Nope. So I chucked that.

The best selection for bulk for my birds seems to be: Cracked corn (sacrificial ground offering), safflower (ditto, and on the small tray, and in the Squirrel Buster), black striped sunflower (everybody loves that), striped sunflower (large tray, ditto), and finally a 50lb bag of peanuts in the shell that should keep the squirrels busy for a while. They will be heartily sick of peanuts by the time we leave here, methinks. And, of course, millet and no-mess blend for the sparrow feeders.

Since we spread things out, I haven't seen any more aggressive behavior on the part of the grackles. Fingers crossed. I think the spreading out, combined with the bigger space available inside the dog crate will give the sparrows more chance to get away should some grackle decide to go mean again. But I'll try to keep enough sacrificial feed out elsewhere to keep everybody distracted... we're a full service station, indeed.

Attachments

• img_3829.jpg
    img_3829.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 1,194
  • img_3830.jpg
    img_3830.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 1,247
Last edited:
happy to hear the grackles arent attacking any more. you were creative in your way to get rid of em :t: ;) hope you dont have to deal with em any more

Excellent tale, good diagnosis and creative solution, Neil. I truly hope all your efforts are worthwhile in your garden context. You may, though, find the odd hawk or two locating in on a 'cageful of sparrows' - but you can only do so much.
Keep us posted - fascinating thread.

Thanks. I've been trying to pin down what it was that disturbed me so much about the grackle attack, given that I really have no such problem with a hawk plying its trade in my yard. I think it comes down to the fact that the grackle is usually a member of the backyard community, eating alongside everybody else, shoulder to shoulder. There is surely an element of trust there (I know I'm anthropomorphising, but bear with me). Sparrows know to run from hawks, but grackles are trusted, because they are (usually) "just one of the usual gang". So this incident just struck me as kind of a treacherous betrayal, a mugging by someone that you hang out with on a regular basis. I mean, all the birds just sit out there and do this all day. Then this grackle turns around and kills one of his neighbours... just seems wrong to me. With the hawk, there is no pretense, it comes in and everybody knows what's going on. That poor sparrow thought it was among friends.

Ok, now I'm psychoanalysing sparrows and it's time to sign off.

Sadly, it appears the grackles are still at it. Today I tried cutting back a bit on the food around the yard, since it gets kind of expensive when they empty everything out so quickly. Later in the day, I found another dead sparrow underneath the hanging Squirrel Buster, which both grackles and sparrows frequent (currently has safflower seeds). The sparrow's head was bashed in, which matches the modus operandi of the previous grackle attack. So what seems to be going on is that I am being blackmailed by grackles - if I don't keep putting out plenty of food for the hoardes, then they start killing sparrows. Nice.

People talk about replacing seed with safflower, but it seems that whatever you put out, the grackles love it. About the only thing that nobody seems too excited about is whole corn, I guess because it's just too big. But anything else gets swamped with grackles, pigeons and starlings. It's kind of depressing, and really makes you think about the whole concept of feeding the birds, to be honest. It's not the idyllic scene that we were somehow expecting, of a few cute little critters flitting to our feeder occasionally. It's a fricking mob scene out there, complete with murders. I don't know what to do now, I can't afford to keep buying 50lb bags of cracked corn, safflower, millet and sunflower seeds on a regular basis. Plus the back yard is starting to smell a little like a big bird cage, I think from the sheer number of customers and the fact that rain has been rare. But it would seem a little heartless to just cut everybody off, there are about a hundred or so young sparrows who seem to being raised in our yard... plus young grackles, and young starlings...

sigh

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that the grackles are still declaring war.:C

I had to do the heartless thing. I took down all my feeders until the grackles left the area (took a month). Then I bought a squirrel-proof feeder made by Heritage Farms called Bird's Choice Buffet, that can also be adjusted to be grackle-proof. I had to adjust it differently than the instruction indicate, with the help of a customer service agent from the company, to make it sensitive enough for the lightweight grackles, and now no grackle can feed at all.

So I've defeated the grackles. And they shouldn't get territorial about a feeder that they can't even use. If they want free food, they'll have to settle for nibbling on what falls to the ground. And they don't seem to think it's worth it. I haven't seen a grackle in weeks!

My little birds are slowly, veeeery slowly, starting to return. Most of them left the area when the grackles invaded, so I'm left with very few birds to feed. But they'll be back!o:)

Neil,
What an interesting dilemma! And you have come up with some very creative alternatives. Unfortunately, I think, now is the time to stop feeding for a while. if you could hold off for just a month or so the grackles might disperse a bit(you probably have a lot of young ones hanging around). All the birds will be fine as far as survival go. Right now is a good time for 'wild' food for birds. Maybe, as someone suggested, put out a single thistle feeder for the time being. No self-respecting grackle would even dream of bothering with thistle.

I've noticed here in MO and when I lived in NY the greatest number of grackles would descend at the end of the summer and then would simply disappear after a few weeks(mainly in NY, not so extreme here in MO).

Maybe it is just one grackle or a few young ones doing the gangsta/thug thing.

Stop feeding for a while and I would think you will get better results at the beginning of fall.

Good luck.

I'm curious - how do you adjust the weight sensitivity to disallow grackles, but allow birds such as the cardinals? According to the documentation that came with the Squirrel Buster feeder, both weigh the same - about 4 ozs. So if you block grackles, apparently, you also block the poor old cardinals. Or, if you have different info on that then I'd love to hear it - right now I have the Squirrel Buster adjusted to be able to handle about one cardinal, which unfortunately means that most of the time it's a grackle sitting there scaring everybody else off and snarfing all the safflower seeds!

Oh boy man you got problems.
I had similar problem but not that bad, with my backyard birds, I ended up with pregnant squirrel, then red-winged black bird. I had also grackle birds, house sparrow, finches, and some other very small squeaky bird...but to my surprise they always worked together and in harmony. As a matter fact, the red-winged black bird would bring 3 females with him....:))))
My Backyard Visitors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back