• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grallaria fenwickorum/urraoensis … irrespective of their validity or not (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
I can now establish the fact that we´re suddenly up to an even 100(!) post in this recently started Sub-Forum! Well done all you Etymologist's out there!

This time I will focus on an ill-disputed species. In 2010 two (!) new Antpittas was described in less than a month: Grallaria fenwickorum and G. urraoensis … but they turned out to be one and the same! Since then there´s been an animus or at least infected debate going on regarding priority, impropriety, validity, types, lack of types, right or wrong etc. etc. … as of now it seem to be the task of ICZN to sort it out once and for all. See earlier threads in other Bird Forum's:http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=208985 and http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2221483

Hovever this case turn out; their Etymology is (regardless of which one turn out to be over-ruled, valid or not) an Eponym, in fact a commemoration of a whole family(!), which is rare, and a Toponym … as follows:

Fenwick's Antpitta Grallaria fenwickorum BARRERA, BARTELS ET AL 2010:
"Etymology The epithet honors the Fenwick family; George, Rita, Cyrus Sarah and Rachael Fenwick of The Plains, Virginia, USA. George Fenwick is the President of American Bird Conservancy (ABC) and Rita Fenwick is the Development Director of ABC – two amazing individuals that have been a force for conservation in the USA and across Latin America, especially Colombia. Importantly, the Fenwick family dedicated their own personal resources to support Fundación ProAves buy and save the 731 ha of Páramo del Sol, establish the Colibrí del Sol Bird Reserve and fund the research which led to this discovery. This commitment to bird conservation has saved many bird species, and now, one more – Grallaria fenwickorum. To the Fenwick family – thank you and long live bird conservation. The Spanish name represents the municipality of Urrao where the species may be restricted and where it is hoped that the local community will rally to help save the species. The name fenwickorum is not known to be used for any other Grallariidae or suboscine passerine."
Urrao Antpitta Grallaria urraoensis CARANTÓN-AYALA & CERTUCHE-CUBILLOS 2010:
"Etymology.- The species names refer to the municipality where G. urraoensis was discovered and to which it may be restricted: Urrao, Dept. Antioquia, Colombia. The word Urrao is of indigenous origin; these areas were originally occupied by a number of indigenous tribes, some currently represented by groups of the Embera- Katío culture."

Now we only have to be patient and wait to see which one to use ...

Cheers!

OD here

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:

Fenwick's Antpitta Grallaria fenwickorum Barrera & Bartels, 2010 [Alt. Antioquia Antpitta, Urrao Antpitta; Syn. Grallaria urraoensis]
Named after Dr George Fenwick, his wife Rita and their children Cyrus, Sarah and Rachel. George Fenwick is the President of the American Bird Conservancy. He received a PhD in Pathobiology from Johns Hopkins University. He created the American the American Bird Conservancy (1994) and directed the creation of the Latin American Bird Reserve Network. Rita was American Bird Conservancy ABC)'s Vice-President for Development. George said of the antpitta's naming: 'I am deeply honored by this naming. I know it reflects in equal parts on the contributions of both my family and the ABC organization, both of which have sought to further bird conservation efforts in Colombia'. The evaluation was remarkable, as it was one of the first times that a new species had been described froma captured individual, ringed, measured, photographed, sampled for DNA, and then released. Shortly after the description using the scientific name Grallaria fenwickorum was published, a second description using the name Grallaria urraoensis appeared. Some question if the first description is valid.

So maybe from The Key to Scientific Names entry small room for improvement:
Dr George H. Fenwick (fl. 2009) US biologist, founder and President of American Bird Conservancy, his wife and Development Director of ABC, Rita G., and their children Cyrus L., Sarah C., and Rachael C. (Grallaria).

So a couple of middle names may or may not be found. His Ph. D. thesis Feeding behavior of waterfowl in relation to changing food resources in the Chesapeake Bay tells us e.g. George Hunter Fenwick.

I can add that his wife (also honoured) is Rita Rose Fenwick nee Christian (b.1961). I could give you birth dates etc dates for all the children but that is just creepy. The US is insane with the amount of information you can get on people online!

P

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back