• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gran Canaria February 2024 (1 Viewer)

dufay

The photos are from last week taken either in Las Palmas (1-3) or the area around Arguineguín (4-6).

1: warbler (Wood Warbler perhaps?)

2: I initially leaned towards Lesser Black-backed due to the color, but other traits point to Yellow-legged

3: immature of either of the above-mentioned gulls

4: Greenfinch?

5: some kind of pipit (Berthelot's?)

6: same as above

IMG_0080.JPGIMG_0105.JPGIMG_0113.JPGIMG_0133.JPGIMG_0150.JPGIMG_0162.JPG

Is it possible to tell if it is the Common- or the Canary Island Chiffchaff? I have several additional photos of this bird if needed.

The greenfinch looks more like a canary to me, due mostly to the bills shape as well as birds facial markings.

Below are some more photos of the same bird, if that could help settle the identification.

IMG_0128.JPG
IMG_0130.JPG
IMG_0131.JPG
IMG_0132.JPG

My initial idea of Greenfinch was based on the fact that it differed somewhat in coloration and patterning from Atlantic Canaries I encountered there, like this one:
IMG_0166.JPG

Last edited:
The greenfinch looks more like a canary to me
Digressing... This is the point at which one might quickly check the Svensson field guide to see if greenfinch even occurs there... to discover that, though Canary Islands and Madeira are 'included' in its coverage, any distribution/presence info for those islands is completely missing. Astonishing.

Digressing... This is the point at which one might quickly check the Svensson field guide to see if greenfinch even occurs there... to discover that, though Canary Islands and Madeira are 'included' in its coverage, any distribution/presence info for those islands is completely missing. Astonishing.

This is the entry from the John Bowler - Wildlife of Madeira and The Canary Islands:
IMG_20240212_211926551.jpg

Occurs on all the Canaries but doesn't breed on some last I knew.

LBBG for both gulls, an adult (note that it's not possible to assess mantle colour in such pics - backlit, so, either ssp. graellsii or intermedius), the 1st cycle (1st winter) bird in pic 3 is quite advanced in plumage with most coverts and tertials replaced for 2nd generation which indicates ssp. intermedius over graellsii while the latter cannot be safely excluded). Agree on Canary Island Chiffchaff, Atlantic Canary and Berthelot's Pipit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back