• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gran Canaria (2 Viewers)

Jose605

Congo-Brazzaville
Spotted this past week....

#1 I think Canary Islands Chiffchaff?
#2 & #3 Also Canary Islands Chiffchaff? (same individual)
#4 Melodious?
#5 Not so sure

Many thanks!

Jose

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 68
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 63
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 60
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 65
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 67
Am wondering if no.2. might be Western Bonelli’s (note complete distinct eye-ring, no.3 Chiffchaff and agree with Melodious for no.4.

Cheers

Am wondering if no.2. might be Western Bonelli’s (note complete distinct eye-ring, no.3 Chiffchaff and agree with Melodious for no.4.

Cheers

Thanks a lot, Ken. It could be Western Bonelli's. Apparently the Canary Islands Chiffchaff has a rather long tail, which I don't really see here.

Hello,

first might well be a Sardinian Warbler. It looks good for a Sylvia warbler and has the right colours, including darkish underparts with little contrast to upperparts and a short pp.

Agree with Melodious warbler and Common Sandpiper.

Thanks a lot, Ken. It could be Western Bonelli's. Apparently the Canary Islands Chiffchaff has a rather long tail, which I don't really see here.
It sprang to mind as a possible, as the only WBW that I’ve ever seen and imaged, it was a bird that popped out of the shrubbery in the hotel grounds where we were staying, during August on Fuertaventura a few years back now Jose.

Cheers

1 looks Sardinian to me. Never been to GC but Sardinian has been my most common warbler (aside from CI chiffchaff) on the canaries

Last edited:
It sprang to mind as a possible, as the only WBW that I’ve ever seen and imaged, it was a bird that popped out of the shrubbery in the hotel grounds where we were staying, during August on Fuertaventura a few years back now Jose.

Cheers

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback, Ken.

Hello,

first might well be a Sardinian Warbler. It looks good for a Sylvia warbler and has the right colours, including darkish underparts with little contrast to upperparts and a short pp.

Agree with Melodious warbler and Common Sandpiper.

Thank you, Alexander. I'm used to seeing plenty of Sardinian warblers in the south of Spain, and this one seemed different to me. But it could be. Here's the only other photo I have of the bird. Thanks again for the feedback.

Attachments

• P1000687.JPG
    P1000687.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 26
It could be a juvenile Sardinian. I definitely didn't see the characteristic red eye.
I'm not sure about that one. I would have thought sardinian would be less round headed, and we'd have some indication of light underparts. But I'm really unclear here.

I'm not sure about that one. I would have thought sardinian would be less round headed, and we'd have some indication of light underparts. But I'm really unclear here.

It could even be Spectacled Warbler, which is relatively common in the island. And the habitat where I saw it is right for the bird. I lightened the pics a bit in case it helps. Thanks!!

I carried a pocket camera with me this time. Thus the terrible quality of the pics 🤦‍♂️

Attachments

• imgonline-com-ua-Lightening-ggBN53E0W62WA1F.jpg
    imgonline-com-ua-Lightening-ggBN53E0W62WA1F.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 18
  • imgonline-com-ua-Lightening-gxH0PBjSHQIqn.jpg
    imgonline-com-ua-Lightening-gxH0PBjSHQIqn.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 18
Believe on enlargement, I can see some splintered red tones around the eye for the first “lightened” image Jose?

Cheers

Believe on enlargement, I can see some splintered red tones around the eye for the first “lightened” image Jose?

Cheers

Yes, I noticed that too. But the Spectacled also has a reddish eye. So I'm not sure. I also have a picture of the tail, flying away....

I'm not sure Sardinian has those brownish tones on the tail...

Attachments

• P1000689.JPG
    P1000689.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 8
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back