• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gray-lined or Gray Hawk (1 Viewer)

49bentley

Canada
Can someone please identify this bird? I think it's a Gray-lined Hawk. If not then Gray Hawk. Taken at Carara National Park in Costa Rica in January.
Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• _A0A2170.jpg
    _A0A2170.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 20
  • _A0A2175.jpg
    _A0A2175.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 20
  • _A0A2176.jpg
    _A0A2176.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 21
Can someone please identify this bird? I think it's a Gray-lined Hawk. If not then Gray Hawk. Taken at Carara National Park in Costa Rica in January.
Thanks
Chris

I would have said grey hawk based on contrasting darker upper parts, lack of barring on neck to head area etc

I would have said grey hawk based on contrasting darker upper parts, lack of barring on neck to head area etc

Always far more useful to people when you give and ID with an explanation as to how you got there, as here, instead of just naming the bird.

It's an English language forum so I'd expect most who use it, to be fairly capable?

Not necessarily-see for example arcadillor's introductory post. English is the universal birder language, though, so you have little choice but to try it if you want foreign input. Anyway, I look forward to your explantions of the Ids you post... ...I have learnt much from such on this forum

It's an English language forum so I'd expect most who use it, to be fairly capable?

I think we have people with poor English that are trying as there is no equivalent Wordwide as Birdforum and it is very ok that they comment identification as they can.

I another hand, English is the main language of bird books, so many foreigners can perfectly explain in English.

Not necessarily-see for example arcadillor's introductory post. English is the universal birder language, though, so you have little choice but to try it if you want foreign input. Anyway, I look forward to your explantions of the Ids you post... ...I have learnt much from such on this forum

I always try and point out any salient ID features when necessary, most often, when a poster is suggesting another, similar species. In this thread for example, it would have been useful to state why, you ID this bird in such certain terms, over another, very, similar species.

I likewise, await you availing us of your knowledge.

Last edited:
I always try and point out any salient ID features when necessary, most often, when a poster is suggesting another, similar species. In this thread for example, it would have been useful to state why, you ID this bird in such certain terms, over another, very, similar species.

I likewise, await you availing us of your knowledge.

Umm are we getting mixed up here—perhaps with someone else's post? I said:

"I would have said grey hawk based on contrasting darker upper parts, lack of barring on neck to head area etc"

...Think that my reasoning is fairly clear, isn't it? There's more one could say but these 2 id marks are perhaps the clearest [and summarised from the ebird article Niels linked]

Umm are we getting mixed up here—perhaps with someone else's post? I said:

"I would have said grey hawk based on contrasting darker upper parts, lack of barring on neck to head area etc"

...Think that my reasoning is fairly clear, isn't it? There's more one could say but these 2 id marks are perhaps the clearest [and summarised from the ebird article Niels linked]

It seems that we are, I was not referring to you and I thought that was clear from what you wrote in post 9.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back