• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great black-backed gull? (2 Viewers)

Michał Jaro

It occurred to me that this seagull with its powerful beak and fairly uniform brown wing coverts is Great black-backed gull Is it possible?
Orava Lake south Poland yesterday.

Attachments

• _MG_7484.JPG
    _MG_7484.JPG
    449 KB · Views: 35
  • _MG_7485.JPG
    _MG_7485.JPG
    465.5 KB · Views: 38
  • _MG_7486.JPG
    _MG_7486.JPG
    249.3 KB · Views: 39
  • _MG_7487.JPG
    _MG_7487.JPG
    302.3 KB · Views: 33
  • _MG_7489.JPG
    _MG_7489.JPG
    481.7 KB · Views: 31
Hello Michal,

your Gull gives the impression of a large billed Caspian Gull to me. Adult type mantle feathers are too pale for a Great black backed Gull and the uniform blackish tail-band (not broken up, consisting of several bands) is not good for many (?) GBBG

There are several threads with helpful comments about Caspian Gulls with huge (=male-"type") bills here on BF.

Regarding ageing: this thread came ino my mind again: some gulls... Norfolk, UK (thanks Lou, Smiths, Harry, Darell, Butty and Cettia. BTW, is can anyone provide a link for the mentioned paper? Thanks!)

hi ALex and of course thank you very much.
But of course I couldn't mean the adult GBBG. However, I was wondering about 2 winter plumage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back