• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Blue vs Grey Heron in a presumably immature bird; Barbados this weekend (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Another conundrum probably more likely here than most other places. Great Blue is an uncommon to rare bird here, while Grey heron has been reported this winter. Looking around, I saw descriptions saying that the bend of the wing should be white on Grey Heron - but what then about this bird from Spain: Media Search - eBird and Macaulay Library

My searching was started by a bird I saw this weekend which was skittish, so I only got image while it was flying away. In the scope before it took off, thighs were at best buffy. I still believes it likely was a Great Blue, but I would like some pointers to what should make me sure? Compare for example the image linked to above with the first image below where the landing lights at the front of the wing mostly are white. Heron 1 P1200094.JPGHeron 3 P1200084.JPGHeron 2 P1200092.JPG

thanks
Niels

Another conundrum probably more likely here than most other places. Great Blue is an uncommon to rare bird here, while Grey heron has been reported this winter. Looking around, I saw descriptions saying that the bend of the wing should be white on Grey Heron - but what then about this bird from Spain: Media Search - eBird and Macaulay Library

thanks
Niels
You mean, THIS one?
Agree, those on the 3 pics above are GBH.

My searching was started by a bird I saw this weekend which was skittish, so I only got image while it was flying away. In the scope before it took off, thighs were at best buffy. I still believes it likely was a Great Blue, but I would like some pointers to what should make me sure? Compare for example the image linked to above with the first image below where the landing lights at the front of the wing mostly are white. View attachment 1432360

View attachment 1432361View attachment 1432362

thanks
Niels
Great blue for me. Note chestnut tones on lower flanks of pic 2, also brownish tones on mantle

Hi again Niels:

In order to get all your photos below your last sentence, you need to treat the photos as text and press 'return / enter' before putting in the photos. You can do this on edit. If you go back to your original post, put the cursor after 'white.' and before the first photo, then press 'return' once or twice, then this will work. In short, you can treat photo thumbnails as text.

Best, MacNara

Something like this.

Another conundrum probably more likely here than most other places. Great Blue is an uncommon to rare bird here, while Grey heron has been reported this winter. Looking around, I saw descriptions saying that the bend of the wing should be white on Grey Heron - but what then about this bird from Spain: Media Search - eBird and Macaulay Library.

My searching was started by a bird I saw this weekend which was skittish, so I only got image while it was flying away. In the scope before it took off, thighs were at best buffy. I still believes it likely was a Great Blue, but I would like some pointers to what should make me sure? Compare for example the image linked to above with the first image below where the landing lights at the front of the wing mostly are white.

Heron 1 P1200094.JPG Heron 3 P1200084.JPG Heron 2 P1200092.JPG

Thanks Mac — too much time has passed, my post is no longer available for editing
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back