• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South American birds (2 Viewers)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear Members and Bird Watchers!

I have seen a lot of birds, everyday and it has been fun even though I only have been able to ID the boobies, frigatebirds and Pelicans.

So, I was very happy when I spotted a bird flying across at Bahia De Santa Elena, Ecuador and I took notes on how it looked as it should be an “EASY” ID. My notes:
  • Grey bird
  • Short tail
  • Looked like it had flied in to a wall (Stubby looking if you can imagine what I mean)
  • White bar back of the wing and a small black bar
See attached drawing that I made. I was happy when I went to look for my bird on the internet as I was sure it would be easy to ID.

I could only get Storm Petrel S.P and the enthusiasm disappeared. Frustrating to see all the birds and only be able to ID the boobies and frigatebirds.

I spotted the bird again 4 o’clock in the morning when it was looking for fish in the light from the floodlight. I was standing straight over the bird. Small white band on the back of the wing, going from the body and stretching for about one third of the wing.

Is it possible to get any ID from my description and drawing?

This very morning, day light is breaking and I had 5 swallows sitting outside the window and I have ID the birds as Southern Swallows. Anyone that can confirm my ID by help of the poor pictures and the sound recording that I made with my camera?

And there was a pelican sitting fishing on the mooring line. I have seen many Brown Pelicans and so far no Peruvian Pelican that have an upper orange coloured bill.

Is it possible to see if it is a Peruvian from my very poor picture taken in the middle of the night. I did not react on the pelican until I saw the orange bill, but I suspect it can be a reflection from the yellow light from the floodlight.

Kind Regards and Happy Birding!
Aladdin

Attachments

• 246.jpg
    246.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 247.jpg
    247.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 248.jpg
    248.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 249.jpg
    249.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 1000.jpg
    1000.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 1111.jpg
    1111.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 245.jpg
    245.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Swallow.mp3
    766.6 KB
247-249, 1000 and 1111 all look like grey breasted martins

I suspect the pelican is brown. I can't see any hint of a blue pouch, and the apparent yellow base of the bill is more due to the rest of the bill being in shade I think. I also think the mantle would be paler than we see here in Peruvian

I suspect the pelican is brown. I can't see any hint of a blue pouch, and the apparent yellow base of the bill is more due to the rest of the bill being in shade I think. I also think the mantle would be paler than we see here in Peruvian
Thank you THE_FERN!

Yes, the flood ligt is yellow so this might be it and I saw a lot of brown in the area.

Cheers, appreciated
Aladdin

T

Hanks again THE_FERN!

Grey breasted martins, thanks!

I will check as soon as i havw a usble internet. Right now on northerly course and internwt leaves a lot to wish for.

Kinz regards
Aladdin

Some great days for you Aladdin!
Yes, thanks to birdforum. Very frustrating not to know the birds.

Just ordered 3 burd guides, caribbesn and north and south South America.

Hope i can get them in Houston next week. Then i can start kick behinds with my birdiing :)

Kind regards
Aladdin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back