• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Cornwall Birding Sites Suggestions Requested (1 Viewer)

sbarnhardt

Jack of a few trades Master of notta!
Opus Editor
United States
Good Day All!

I'm in the process of working on expanding an Opus article here on Bird Forum about Cornwall as it relates to birding.

I'm in the US and, while I have been doing some online research, I'd really like to know some of the birding spots a birder in the area considers "go-to" and "must-see" locations.

So, if you would be so kind as to tell me your good place and why, I would appreciate it!

Thanks!
sbarnhardt

Hi sbarnhart,
I live in Cornwall (there are several Cornwalls - Australia, US, Jamaica, Canada and UK; I assume you're asking about the UK one). As I'm fairly new to birding and mainly interested in birds of prey, my observations may not be of much use to you, but I'll offer them anyway.
Pretty much anywhere you go in Cornwall, there are buzzards Buteo buteo. They are most noticable and numerous in late summer to early autumn, in areas with farmland and woodland. Around the coast there are peregrines Falco peregrinus, I have only seen them on the north coast but they live on the south coast too. Apparently there are an increasing number of red kites Milvus milvus in the countryside, although I have yet to be lucky enough to see one.
Land's End is supposed to be good for sea birds, they've had a couple of rare sightings recently, although I haven't been. In fact the Cornish coast is generally pretty good, so someone with knowledge of sea birds would be helpful.
There is a website called Cornwall Birding which has a list of, and info about, good birding sites in Cornwall: https://www.cornwall-birding.co.uk/cornwall-birding-site-guides/
There is also a useful map on the Cornwall Bird Watching and Preservation Society (CBWPS) website: https://www.cbwps.org.uk/atlas/
Sorry I couldn't suggest any specific sites, they definitely exist I just haven't checked them out yet. I hope some of this was useful.
Eddie_the_Eagle

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back